VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denial of Clothing Allowance

Rate this question

Jeromy

Question

Does anyone have a good NoD or a 'statement in support of claim' that wouldn't mind sharing regarding denial of clothing allowance.  I received the clothing allowance last year, but was denied this year.  Reason given on the letter was "No Device on Record."  Per the flowchart to determine eligibility, if I can demonstrate how my knee brace for my service connected injury causes clothing damage, I can would be deemed eligible. 

Keep in mind that the new rules that came into effect in 2016 were a knee brace with hinges that is covered by cloth or tighten with Velcro are not "deemed as not being damage causing" braces.  Seems odd to me because my pants and my shorts have frays and fringes worn and torn into them via such clothing safe braces not only by the Velcro but the plastic strappings, plus sweat and such transferring onto materials, regardless of how clean you keep items. 

Anyone have some examples?  Thank you in advance.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I have the same problem I had my lawyer file a NoD. I got allowance for about 5 years for ankle braces, they are very bulky, rigid and wear out shoes-cant wear them unless sweats or shorts. Was suddenly denied. Do not what they sent the VA other than a Nod. Wish I could help. Wish I got my allowance.

I would like to learn more about the clothing allowance because I just got a letter from the DAV stating that I should apply for it. 

I am 10% for my right ankle and wear a brace, that wears out my shoes and socks (looking at the form, you cannot claim that). I am also 20% for my lower back and 20% for my left knee and the VA has issued me Capzasin (cream) for it. I am sure that it stains my clothes but how do you justify it? 

Thanks