VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Re-Examining Military Sexual Trauma Claims 17-oct-2018

Rate this question

GeekySquid

Question

"During a live webcast on Oct. 16, VA's new Under Secretary for Benefits, Paul R. Lawrence, Ph.D. said that VA will begin reviewing tens of thousands of PTSD claims filed by veterans who suffered Military Sexual Trauma (MST) "

https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/10/17/va-reexamining-military-sexual-trauma-claims.html

Any veteran who has an MST claim or was rejected or low-balled on an MST claim should take note of the above. If you know a vet with this situation, please let them know. If you know a VSO, let them know.

Hope it helps someone.

Wow! I currently have a MST/PTSD claim in.  In my last mental health review the examiner told me  that the previous examiner had suggested an increase in my current percent (50%), due to my MST, and the VA did nothing( he was confused why nothing was done and why I was even at the exam). With that information in hand I filed a CUE for the first exam and my claim has gone from every stage back to gathering evidence on E-Benefits twice now. I really hope this does change things.  Luckily, I have a representative now who has jumped on all this and has gotten the ball rolling for me.  I feel like even though I have my victories here and there, there always seems to be a battle. 

1 hour ago, Through the looking glass said:

I have a representative now who has jumped on all this and has gotten the ball rolling for me.

First I am sad you have had the experience in the first place. Second the VA is like the monkey F'ing the football.

I hope your rep is good but please point them to this OIG report and the actions required.

The VA knew it was doing a bad job with MST and made changes to address than and then screwed up the changes. Those OIG  reports are solid evidence in your favor and in fact depending on the contents of your File, exam notes, etc you may even have a case to claim they were Seeking Evidence to Deny your claim which is a big bozo no-no.

I wish you luck and please keep us informed on your progress. It helps others knowing what works and what doesn't for each type situation.

Edited by GeekySquid

Geeky squad, thank you for your support it means a lot. In my situation there is evidence of my assault while serving, as I was hospitalized after. I don’t talk about it much, because I was drugged and have no memory  of the actual event.  Everything that occurred after was horrific though, as my command did nothing.  I never pursued it in a claim because I hate having to talk to a stranger about it. I’ve gotten to a point in my life (I have a daughter) where I realize that I have to be brave and step forward with my experience.  I feel it will help others who have or will experience something similar be brave and seek help before it’s too late. So even if this claim turns into a nightmare, I’m showing my daughter that I will not let this experience defeat me. 

6 minutes ago, Through the looking glass said:

I’m showing my daughter that I will not let this experience defeat me. 

excellent way to move forward.

i would like you to consider putting together your evidence, including the VA's indifference and efforts to deny your claim and contact certain female members of the U.S House and Senate. Political affiliation is not the metric, but their proactive histories on this issue is. there are several who have made this an issue and a couple who flat out refuse to do more than give lip service to these crimes. The latter act like many of the men in congress and I find them repulsive for doing so.

I understand that you may not want to make this a public issue, and if you choose wisely with the female congressmen (sorry congresspeople just sounds afu) they will keep your privacy while bringing pressure on Wilkie to get this done and your case properly rated.

you have evidence which puts you far ahead of so many others in swatting away claims it is a he said she said situation. that is your nexus and the va is actively harming you. that must not be allowed to continue for you and every other victim of MST and in fact for every other vet the VA chooses to actively try and deny.

Please consider it. any action you take to further unmask the problem will help other MST victims.