VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Taking So Long

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

I have to ask why my 2nd total knee replacement is taking so long it's been 6 months now since I had it replaced. Is it that hard to decide to weather or not grant me the 100% temp for the 1 year? or is the VA trying to figure out how to add a secondary to my first Total knee replacement? which I was awarded 30%. My first Knee replacement only took 6 weeks to process and get paid, but 6 months is a bit to far out there waiting when this claim should have been as easy as the first claim was.

here is what my claim says as of today, and another thing I never heard of a secondary for a total knee replacement unless it has to do with the VA replacing the whole knee joint for a second time around on the same knee

Status of Your Claim

PREPARATION FOR DECISION

• Submitted: 08/01/2018 (Compensation)
  • Estimated Completion: 11/09/2018 - 12/04/2018
  • Disabilities Claimed: total knee arthroplasty (Secondary), knee replacement (Secondary), Temporary Total Disability (New)
  • Representative for VA Claims: OREGON DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
  • Current Status: Preparation for Decision

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I count about 3 months from August 1, when you apparently submitted the application, not 6 months.  It also says preperation for decision.  However, ebenefits is unreliable, and most of us know that.  

Still, if August 1 was your correct submission date, 3 months is lightning fast for VA.  I have never had a claim completed in less than 6 months, with the exception of the initial denial which was completed in barely less than 6 months.  

My advice is to be patient and ignore the "estimated completion date".  

I opted into Ramp on August 8, about a week after you filed, and my ebenefits shows the RAMP has made "0" progress since August, if its any consolation.  Mine is still in "claim recieved".  Of course, with ebenefits, you have no idea what is the truth..its sort of like the rest of the VA, you can not trust VA employees to tell you the truth.  

Some years ago, I heard that somone called the IRS for advice..that agent told them to do "x".  They did.  Later, it was discovered that "x" was very bad advice and wrong.  So the person sued the IRS for giving bad advice which cost him money.  The IRS won.  

In a nutshell, the courts have ruled if an agency gives you faulty advice, the agency is not "held" to that advice, and is not responsible for it.  

They dont have accountability, and the VA employees take full advantage of this..telling you anything to get you off the phone.  Once you understand this, for me, it was empowering.  Its one thing to be lied to, but still another when you recognize that as a lie.    Generally, when I speak to somone, I always give them the benefit of the doubt, assuming everything they say is the truth, UNTIL I find out different.  However, once I catch them in a single lie, I discount the rest of what they say as also a lie.  Well, the VA has got my mistrust the old fashioned way..they EARNED IT.  

This is sad, and especially so, for PTSD Vets.  You see, you kinda need to trust your VA therapist and beleive he or she is on your side.  Or, you dont tell them NOTHING.   This is a cause of the high rate of Veterans suicide.  The PTSD Vets dont trust the therapist, so they dont tell them what is really wrong, or even if they are "at risk of suicide".  

I have been treated at the VA since the late 1990's.  There are a couple people at the VA who have earned my trust, and I open up to them.  They have earned it over decades.  Most, however, have not earned my trust, so I tell them pretty much "Nothing".  

My attitude on this is not unique.   My son does not trust anyone at VA.  And he wont even go there, except for emergency treatment, and then he never goes back, even for followup.  He desperately needs PTSD treatment (he was in IRaq) and wont get it because he does not trust VA, in no small part because he knows they lied to me.  

VA needs to fix this "trust problem" in order to fix the suicide problem.  VA employees who tell Vets "wrong stuff" need to be held accountable.  

My parents taught me honesty by modeling that behaviour.  The VA teaches Vets dishonesty by modeling that behaviour.  Then they wonder why many Vets, who need treatment, wont get it.  

I have learned I can not do business with someone who I dont trust.  When you go to McDonalds, you buy a sandwich because you trust that those employees did not put posion or something bad in your sandwich, or french fries.  If you lose that trust, then you probably wont eat there.  Each time I have gotten sub standard food at McDonalds, and brought it to the managers attention, he immediately replaced the defective food.  He dealt with my issues immediately.  So, I trust them, (not that I eat at McDonalds all the time).  McDonalds has earned millions of people's trust.  One way (that I like), is that you can go to a McDonalds, use the bathroom, and not buy anything.  Sometimes, that is what I need.  I need a bathroom, and I can count on McDonalds to have a fairly decent restroom, and not whine that I did not buy something.  Since I do feel comfortable and trusting, sometimes I do buy something, even when I just went there to use the bathroom.  

Ditto for Amazon..they have great service and have earned my trust, doing refunds when I was not satisfied.  Why cant VA do something as simple as earn our trust, by simply doing what they are supposed to do?  Its not rocket science.  Just hold employees accountable.  If you talk to a Va employee and his statements are suspicious, then you should be able to bring that issue to his or her supervisor and have it fixed.  Of course, it could well be that it was YOU who did not understand, and hopefully the supervisor can explain it.  

Edited by broncovet

On 10/23/2018 at 3:07 AM, broncovet said:

I count about 3 months from August 1, when you apparently submitted the application, not 6 months.  It also says preperation for decision.  However, ebenefits is unreliable, and most of us know that.  

Still, if August 1 was your correct submission date, 3 months is lightning fast for VA.  I have never had a claim completed in less than 6 months, with the exception of the initial denial which was completed in barely less than 6 months.  

I opted into Ramp on August 8, about a week after you filed, and my ebenefits shows the RAMP has made "0" progress since August, if its any consolation.  Mine is still in "claim recieved".  Of course, with ebenefits, you have no idea what is the truth..its sort of like the rest of the VA, you can not trust VA employees to tell you the truth.  

Some years ago, I heard that somone called the IRS for advice..that agent told them to do "x".  They did.  Later, it was discovered that "x" was very bad advice and wrong.  So the person sued the IRS for giving bad advice which cost him money.  The IRS won.  

In a nutshell, the courts have ruled if an agency gives you faulty advice, the agency is not "held" to that advice, and is not responsible for it.  

They dont have accountability, and the VA employees take full advantage of this..telling you anything to get you off the phone.  Once you understand this, for me, it was empowering.  Its one thing to be lied to, but still another when you recognize that as a lie.    Generally, when I speak to somone, I always give them the benefit of the doubt, assuming everything they say is the truth, UNTIL I find out different.  However, once I catch them in a single lie, I discount the rest of what they say as also a lie.  Well, the VA has got my mistrust the old fashioned way..they EARNED IT.  

This is sad, and especially so, for PTSD Vets.  You see, you kinda need to trust your VA therapist and beleive he or she is on your side.  Or, you dont tell them NOTHING.   This is a cause of the high rate of Veterans suicide.  The PTSD Vets dont trust the therapist, so they dont tell them what is really wrong, or even if they are "at risk of suicide".  

I have been treated at the VA since the late 1990's.  There are a couple people at the VA who have earned my trust, and I open up to them.  They have earned it over decades.  Most, however, have not earned my trust, so I tell them pretty much "Nothing".  

My attitude on this is not unique.   My son does not trust anyone at VA.  And he wont even go there, except for emergency treatment, and then he never goes back, even for followup.  He desperately needs PTSD treatment (he was in IRaq) and wont get it because he does not trust VA, in no small part because he knows they lied to me.  

VA needs to fix this "trust problem" in order to fix the suicide problem.  VA employees who tell Vets "wrong stuff" need to be held accountable.  

My parents taught me honesty by modeling that behaviour.  The VA teaches Vets dishonesty by modeling that behaviour.  Then they wonder why many Vets, who need treatment, wont get it.  

I have learned I can not do business with someone who I dont trust.  When you go to McDonalds, you buy a sandwich because you trust that those employees did not put posion or something bad in your sandwich, or french fries.  If you lose that trust, then you probably wont eat there.  Each time I have gotten sub standard food at McDonalds, and brought it to the managers attention, he immediately replaced the defective food.  He dealt with my issues immediately.  So, I trust them, (not that I eat at McDonalds all the time).  McDonalds has earned millions of people's trust.  One way (that I like), is that you can go to a McDonalds, use the bathroom, and not buy anything.  Sometimes, that is what I need.  I need a bathroom, and I can count on McDonalds to have a fairly decent restroom, and not whine that I did not buy something.  Since I do feel comfortable and trusting, sometimes I do buy something, even when I just went there to use the bathroom.  

Ditto for Amazon..they have great service and have earned my trust, doing refunds when I was not satisfied.  Why cant VA do something as simple as earn our trust, by simply doing what they are supposed to do?  Its not rocket science.  Just hold employees accountable.  If you talk to a Va employee and his statements are suspicious, then you should be able to bring that issue to his or her supervisor and have it fixed.  Of course, it could well be that it was YOU who did not understand, and hopefully the supervisor can explain it.  

Well just now this claim has changed to this status "Pending Decision Approval" but not really counting on this because last time it change back to gathering of evidence status. Hopfully they will retro back pay the 100% temp My surgery was on June 4th 2018 My original claim started on April 15th 2018 and final documents were filed on June 5th 2018 but my claim two months later was lost for some unknown reason so thats why I had to re file on August 1st 2018 and start the process all over again. I called the 1-800 number just to ask the question would I receive retro back pay for the 100% temp, the young lady said she could not answer that. All she could say is that it is in the Decision Approval phase. So It's a hurry up and wait. 

Status of Your Claim

PENDING DECISION APPROVAL

• Estimated Completion: 11/01/2018 - 11/05/2018
  • Disabilities Claimed: total knee arthroplasty (Secondary), knee replacement (Secondary), Temporary Total Disability (New)
  • Current Status: Pending Decision Approval

Here is what was showing this morning on ebenefits 

Never seen this during my first total knee replacement, so I have a funny feeling that I'm not getting the 100% temp for my 2nd total knee replacement.

Status of Your Claim

PREPARATION FOR NOTIFICATION

• Estimated Completion: 10/29/2018 - 10/31/2018
  • Current Status: Preparation for Notification

I found out that I will not be receiving the 100% temp for my 2nd total knee replacement on the same knee, the person on the other end of the 1-800 could only tell me that the VA says I'm not entitled to a 2nd 100% temp claim you only get 1 100% temp claim per service connected injury no matter how many times you have surgery on that same injury, they also told me that the CFR will explain why I was denied. I find that really odd, but I was told I would have to wait and read the letter that the VA sent out explaining why I was turned down and their opinion. They could not tell me anything more and if I wish I could see my VSO and file a NOD for the denied claim. This whole claim has taken a wrong turn in the wrong direction. So as of right now I remain at 40%.

Status of Your Claim

COMPLETE

• Claim Closed: 10/26/2018
  • Current Status: Complete