VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&T and back to work?

Rate this question

11cvolley

Question

No.  Its unnecessary.  100 percent P and T Vets can overcome their disabilities and return to work.  Some notable people who did exactly that are John McCain, Max Cleland and one former VA employee who became a Senator.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Question

Are We Veterans Not Notable People?

I would think they would never come after some ex veterans like Senator John McCain or any congress people simply because of there status with the Gov.

example if they were to decide on a benefit  which one get it first between John McCain& Regular GI Joe

Sen John McCain would be up front first  vs a regular Veteran

But then again I have seen military officers (veteran status) at my VAMC Standing in the waiting line just like the rest of us enlisted vets. (why is that?) because they were not notable Veterans.

Iv'e always believed if your a veteran and move on up to congress by being elected by your peers  that changes your veteran status to GOLD standards.

it seems like it to me anyway.

jmo

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

11cvolley

I think being a veteran counts 10 points on your job application if you were an officer Mayor OR HIGHER/AND OR DISABLE VETERAN, if you go to work for the US GOV. AND BEING A DISABLE VETERAN THEY ADD ANOTHER 5 POINTS.

I don't have the regs on this but I remember reading about that some where?

Job Reference Maybe?

Edited by Buck52

Many of you do not recognize there are two distinctly different 100% ratings-be it for PTSD or any disability. If you are rated a true 100% schedular for your disease, and have been granted Chapter 35 DEA benefits, you can go back to work. On the other hand, if you are rated 70% and granted TDIU at the 100% rate, and also granted Chapter 35 DEA benefits, you cannot go back to work. There is one narrow exception if you are employed in a "sheltered" employment such as a family business where they include you on the payroll. By being TDIU, you are forbidden to work period except as I mentioned. If VA sees your SSI earnings show employment, you will lose the TDIU and have to pay it back.

After 20 years at  any percentage, they cannot reduce or take away your rating. If you were rated at 60% for 20 years and then attained 100%, only the 60% would be protected. I fought VA for so long that when I finally won, both my 100% ratings were protected.  

Veterans receive Veterans Preference points for government employment, 5 points if 20% or less. You get 10 points if you are 30% or higher. 

Also veterans who are 30% or More Disabled Veteran authority allows an agency to non-competitively appoint any veteran with a 30% or more service-connected disability.

You are eligible if you:

• retired from active military service with a service-connected disability rating of 30% or more; OR
  • have a rating by the Department of Veterans Affairs showing a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.

This also

Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA)

Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) is an excepted authority that allows an agency to non-competitively appoint an eligible veteran. If you:

• Served during a war or are in receipt of a campaign badge for service in a campaign or expedition; OR
  • are a disabled veteran, OR
  • are in receipt of an Armed Forces Service Medal (includes the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal)for participation in a military operation, OR
  • are a recently separated veteran (within 3 years of discharge), AND
  • separated under honorable conditions (this means an honorable or general discharge).

You can be appointed under this authority at any grade level up to and including a GS-11 or equivalent. This is an excepted service appointment. Upon satisfactory completion of 2 years of substantially continuous service, you will be converted to the competitive service. If an agency has two or more VRA candidates and at least one is preference eligible, the veterans' preference procedures of 5 CFR, part 302 of OPM’s regulations must be applied when using the VRA authority.