Jump to content
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

  • 0

Fired... Related to Gulf War Research Study time commitment?


So, the TL:DR is I am looking for a referral to an Employment Lawyer who specialized in helping Veterans with USERRA, VOW, ADA, FMLA & potential non compliance with  - Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

To sum up what has just occurred, I've been employed with a large multi-national technology company for 2 1/2 years, who also does a lot of business with the Federal Government. Things were going well, until I recently started to socialized that I am a 90% rated Gulf War vet and I've just enrolled in a study where I'll need to take off time, more so than my normal once a year vacation.

I've just started the study and have started to put time off requests in stating that this time off is for this study.

Monday (10-29-18) I had our normal standing 1-on-1 with Manager, great call no issues our usual pleasant personal & work related topics. But got an email after hours on Tuesday night saying we have to have a one off first thing in the morning call to discuss performance issues. 

Wednesday (10-31-18) rolls around and I've been informed that due to performance issues I'm being placed in P.I.P (Performance Plan) I should start looking for a new job and I have 60 days and my employment will be terminated.  

Rather out of the blue, and I've compiled quite a bit of data to indicate so.

I've been researching online like crazy this past day but would appreciate any brother or sisters from here who can point me in the direction of a Lawyer/Firm that they've had/heard good experiences with related to my above scenario. 

Thanking you in advance for reading my post and your response.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is useless.

You can file an ADA complaint yourself. My husband won the first ADA complaint filed here in NY.

I did all the legal work for him.He had filed 17 discrimination complaints under 503 Act with DOL-I prepared every complaint with evidence but DOL  did nothing.I filed the ADA complaint the first day the ADA became law-here in NY- 1990 ? 

The ADA found a federal contractor had discriminated against him on a job re -call. The company had to pay him.

It took mere months for the ADA to render their decision.

I had so much evidence by then, due to the DOL complaints, I had to narrow it down for the ADA, in one single packet of evidence with the formal complaint.The ADA lawyer was surprised that DOL did not find the company in compliance with 503 Rehab Act.By then I knew 503 and DOL was just a waste of time. I found in 1990 that since the 503 regs came out (1973)only one single disabled Vietnam vet had succeeded under 503...in the whole USA.


However your request to participate in a Gulf War Study might not be a " reasonable accommodation" as defined in ADA regulations, it might be an "undue hardship" per your employer.

Did the VA ask you to be in this study?

Can you tell us what type of study this is, that would require a GWvet to take time off work for?

Do you have a link to this study?

There is a lot of info on Google as to the ADA.

Also I am sure you can find a lawyer familar with ADA on the internet.

You also need documented proof that you are fully qualified to perform your job.

"Wednesday (10-31-18) rolls around and I've been informed that due to performance issues I'm being placed in P.I.P (Performance Plan) I should start looking for a new job and I have 60 days and my employment will be terminated. "

My husband never asked this employer for an acommodation because his performance appraisals were all good, after they finally hired him. 

Basics on ADA-( if your company falls under the ADA)

You could probably file your complaint on line at one of the ADA sites.

But it must comply with ADA criteria and you must have documentation of your issue.

ADA criteria is here:

"A qualified employee or applicant with a disability is an individual who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the job in question. Reasonable accommodation may include, but is not limited to:

  • Making existing facilities used by employees readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities.
  • Job restructuring, modifying work schedules, reassignment to a vacant position;
  • Acquiring or modifying equipment or devices, adjusting or modifying examinations, training materials, or policies, and providing qualified readers or interpreters.

An employer is required to make a reasonable accommodation to the known disability of a qualified applicant or employee if it would not impose an "undue hardship" on the operation of the employer's business. Reasonable accommodations are adjustments or modifications provided by an employer to enable people with disabilities to enjoy equal employment opportunities. Accommodations vary depending upon the needs of the individual applicant or employee. Not all people with disabilities (or even all people with the same disability) will require the same accommodation. For example:

  • A deaf applicant may need a sign language interpreter during the job interview.
  • An employee with diabetes may need regularly scheduled breaks during the workday to eat properly and monitor blood sugar and insulin levels.
  • A blind employee may need someone to read information posted on a bulletin board.
  • An employee with cancer may need leave to have radiation or chemotherapy treatments.

An employer does not have to provide a reasonable accommodation if it imposes an "undue hardship." Undue hardship is defined as an action requiring significant difficulty or expense when considered in light of factors such as an employer's size, financial resources, and the nature and structure of its operation.

An employer is not required to lower quality or production standards to make an accommodation; nor is an employer obligated to provide personal use items such as glasses or hearing aids."







Edited by Berta

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 0
  • 0

My "intuitive" answer is that your boss needs to make "reasonable accomodations" to your disability.  The difference is "reasonable accomodations" defination...yours may be different than your employer.  

I doubt your employer would be forced to give you time off to retrain for a new occupation.  Yes, your employer may do so willingly, but I doubt the courts will force him to do this.  That may not meet the defination of "reasonable accomodations".  In other words, your boss may need you during those periods of absence.  You would have a better case if you offered to come in on Saturdays or evenings to make up the time lost attending classes.  It makes it sound like you are asking your employer to pay you while you are studying for another job.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

In many states, the employer hires the employee "at will".  He does not even have to give a reason for firing you...he "wills" you not to work there anymore.  

This firing may be a blessing in disguise..this could make you eligible, in part, for tdiu, which is a huge increase in your disability compensation.  I suggest you apply...your docs and voc rehab can work out whether or not you can maintain SGE or not.  I dont know.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Good point Broncovet- and maybe SSDI should be applied for as well.

I am sensitive to discrimination issues because we went through so much of that when my husband applied for a VA position long ago as well as the federal contractor DOL stuff.

Nepotism was rampant at the local VA in those days, but I made an appointment with the Director, and proved in about 5 minutes that he had been been discriminated against-for a full time position ( they hired an unqualified non vet, non disabled relative for it without giving my husband an interview for the job ) so the director gave him a VA job the same day.Otherwise we would have filed an EEOC complaint.The Personnel Director , who I approached first, said he was not qualified per OPM for the Job. I whipped out his OPM statement that he was qualified and told her apparently she could not read. She got canned. 

BUT, discrimination is often very hard to prove.It is just like a VA claim- everything rests on documented evidence.







Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • Military Service Records - Military personnel records can include DD 214s/Separation Documents, service personnel records found within the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), and medical Records. Military personnel records can be used for proving military service or as a valuable tool in genealogical research.
      • 0 replies
    • So I've been in a basic power chair (Q6 Edge) since 2015. Late 2016 was also fitted for a TiLite TRA manual (also keeping powerchair). 2017 was approved by Tampa VA for clothing allowance for lower. 


      Moved to Battle Creek VA late 2017. Since then was issued new basic powerchair (Quickie P222-SE) to replace broken Q6. Still use TiLite also now can lightly ambulate with Forearm crutches.

      Use crutches 50%, and both chairs 25% each.

      Was approved for 1 clothing allowance this year for forearms crutches for upper.


      Was denied 2nd for chair/lower that was awarded last year because Chief Prosthetic states "powerchair takes precedence, you were issued that so you are to use only the powerchair".

      Also powerchair has gap between seat and leg mounts where clothes do get caught and tear. Clinician was I'll put it back in but"power chairs dont get clothing allowances", and "any review or appeal will only come back to me"

      I was approved for powerchair/custom manual combo clothing allowance last year; How do I word an appeal for the lower clothing allowance this year?

      My local DAV rep at the VA has no clue on how to handle this.

      • 6 replies
    • Thank you.  I’m not exactly sure of how I will file it.  If it is secondary to TBI, would it be pyramiding?
    • I understand what you are saying. Does it sometimes take awhile to update the VA letters and disabilities info online after it closes.....in my case on a Saturday ? Some on other posts on here says no and some say yes so I'm just curious about the inconsistency regarding that if it is yes and no.
    • I understand what you are saying. Does it sometimes take awhile to update the VA letters and disabilities info online after it closes.....in my case on a Saturday ? Some on other posts on here says no and some say yes so I'm just curious about the inconsistency regarding that if it is yes and no.

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines