VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

having Medicare Part A while in VA system

Rate this topic

I will have Medicare Part A available in a month, opted out of B for S S D I.  Will this do any good in requesting for example an MRI instead of a CAT scan since they could potentially have Medicare paying for it or part of it?  

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody answered so I will using one word, no.  The people who schedule the tests (medical personnel) having nothing to do with billing and collecting.  So one hand does not know what the other is doing, nor do they care much.

On another note, I have found the VA will always try a CAT scan first.  Then, if that does not complete the task, they mostly likely will schedule you an MRI.  Naturally if the CAT scan solves or answers the pertinent medical question, there is no need for an MRI.

Good question.   I, too, opted out of part b several years ago.  I reasoned that I could just get my care at the VAMC, so why do I also need to buy insurance (part b)?  

Other Vets advised against it, because, it limits your choices.  Being able to choose where you go for healthcare is a very very big deal.  It means you can do things like "get a second opinion", and get care that is not on "VA's approved care list".  Do you want some beaureaucrat (VA exec) sitting behind a desk, deciding on what medical care and tests you should have?  

For that reason, when I turned 65, I opted into part b.   (Note:  There is a penalty if you opt in to part b after declining it.  However, that penalty is waived when you become 65, but only once. ) . 

Part b currently costs 134 per month, and you can choose between having the government manage it (medicare), or have a private company manage it (medicare advantage plan administered by an insurance co) . I chose Humana advantage, in no small part because of the senior sneakers program.  What it means is, that if you are  in humana, you can go to the health club on them.  It makes sense...if you can exercise, your health care costs will be lower.  Medicare, as far as I know, does not pay for your health care membership, while insurance company part b advantage plans often do.  So, for my 134 per month, i get many choices, plus I get a health club membership.  I felt it was worth it, and Im not a big fan of insurance, either.