VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA calls wants to go over pain med i'm prescribed

Rate this topic

Broncovet,

I agree with your excellent advice.  As I read your advice I was reminded of another of my pet peeve's.  I do not remember exactly when, but it certainly was years ago that the VA decided to issue new VA ID cards.  At that time, their stated reason was to provide each Veteran with an identification number such that they could discontinue using SSN's.

Well I have the new card and the ID number on it.  But after spending all that money the VA still uses one's SSN.  Not one time have I ever needed to use my  VA assigned ID number.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the VA Id cards are useless..I've never had to use mine  they always ask me my last 4..eh!

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2018 at 4:53 AM, SgtStelmo said:

I have an answer here.  You have heard of the 'opioid epidemic' this country is experiencing.  As such, the government is tracking down on these and other addictive drugs.  (i.e. benzopyrenes).  This is not necessarily the doing of the VA, but what is required pursuant to collateral government bureaucracy. And so when you identify the drug as 'pain med' I am sure this is but the first step of their changing your routine.

Sadly our government (not just the VA) tends to overreact.  And that is what is going on now.  My dad was dying.  The doctor wrote out a script and gave it to me.  She said right from the start, good luck getting this filled.  It is almost next to impossible.  I lucked out and after a half dozen pharmacies I found one willing to sell the drug.  I do not remember the name but it was an opioid.  So the sick pay the price for the criminal actions of others, a really sad outcome.

sorry for delay in reply. yes, it was the VA pharm who called in a phone interview to go over things. sort of odd a pharmacy person calls to discuss my med treatment and not my primary care doctor. interview went ok. just strange but i know why they do it now since i posted this thread/question. non-VA doctor said the same and mentioned it is happening to all his patients now too. mentioned a pharm's have over-ridden him and yet, the pharm's know nothing about the patient or history.  thanks

On 11/6/2018 at 1:16 AM, LSGi said:

i'll see what they say via phone first, it may be nothing, but then again, it just seems odd to me. and you too i see.  i'll check back after call

sorry for being so late.

it was a new standard for VA pharm's to call pt's who are/have been on long term pain meds. want to know how its working, what other things i do to help with pain, (i.e., exercise, meditation, what foods i eat, any adverse reactions to meds, those kind of things.).  same type of questions my primary has asked over the years. primary has a medical degree and years of experience seeing me and talking with me, versus, i've never met anyone from a VA pharm in my life that i know of.

we all know now, the CDC & how political it is,  lumped all the opioid deaths in with legit chronic diseased/injury longterm use patients who have had little to no neg issues with their pain meds over the years. so the media and politicians knee-jerk out opines and bad policies. politicians, media, big pharm don't want to take on nation actors(you know who they are) who are and have been flooding this country with fentanyl/meth, and the like, so they side step that, and the patients who hadn't had any issues get slammed dunked by these policies. and of course, more population control as all of us legit patients got tossed into a national database and telling pharmacists they know better than a patient's doctor.

On 11/6/2018 at 6:37 AM, broncovet said:

Of course, what Sgt Stelmo says is true.  However, scammers integrate their "scams" into current issues like this, so you have to exercise caution, especially if they ask your SSN.  The VA usually asks for your last 4, scammers want everything.  Best is if you call them, then you know who you are speaking with.  When they call you, they can "spoof" the caller id and make it appear they are with the VA when they are not.  Vets and seniors are targets of scammers, and, usually if something is "odd" then there is a good reason.  The VA cut me off opiates, but I got no phone calls, the doc simply said no more.  

I can not say this is/is not a scam, but I get several calls a month from people claiming to be with "Windows", IRS, etc.etc.  "Microsoft" does not call its users to tell the of a malware infection, so this  is always a scam.    Likewise, va does not call you and ask for your ssn, etc.  They may ask for your "last 4", however.  The last 4 wont help a scammer, but will help VA identify you.  

they asked for last 4. the call was logged into my file as my primary and nurse at my va clinic knew of it and the pharmacist's name. pretty sure the call was legit this time. thanks for the info. the scam calls we all get is off the charts these days.

On 11/6/2018 at 12:25 PM, Vync said:

Good advice from Broncovet about being on the lookout for phone scammers. If you encounter any, be sure to go to FCC's web site and report them: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us  Adding your number to the "do not call" registry can also help: https://donotcall.gov

I haven't got any calls from the VA pharmacy about my medications. When the VA succumbed to the red tape, my primary care doc simply said they could not refill any. Instead, I had to go through the VA pain clinic.

thanks. i put my phone on that donotcall list. helps some.  the VA now sends out narcan to those on pain meds. i felt dirty when i got that in the mail. don't know why, but i did.