VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

dental trauma to #8 and 9 teeth

Rate this question

vern2

Question

Note: I posted this in claims research, but go no response.

My son fell while in TBS in 1996. Broke part of #8 off and also did some injury to #9. This was noted in his Dental STR. He has had chronic problems since then with these teeth.  # 8 finally had to be referred outside for root canal and build up of tooth. Tooth had lost blood flow and color. Fast forward. He is now retiring from USMC and is wondering if he has a valid dental claim. He talked over this with me and problem is that he filed his VA claim last week and failed to mention this issue. He is still AD for 3-4 more months.

My reading of this VA law is kind of vague, as VA ratings mention loss of multiple teeth or jaw, etc. He still has issues with these teeth. I have asked him to go back to endo doc and get him to fill out a DBQ  stating that dental problems are as likely as not due to the dental trauma in 1996.

Anyone have similar issues or advice as to what to do?

Vern2

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Sure.  Go ahead and apply.  Make sure you have all 3 caluza elements documented.  current diagnosis, in service event, and nexus.  

I have no idea if this would warrant disability payments,  but it could likely cover future dental work.  For more information, read this:

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/themouthandteeth.html

4 hours ago, broncovet said:

Sure.  Go ahead and apply.  Make sure you have all 3 caluza elements documented.  current diagnosis, in service event, and nexus.  

I have no idea if this would warrant disability payments,  but it could likely cover future dental work.  For more information, read this:

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/themouthandteeth.html

Thanks, sent this to my son. Thanks for the help!

Vern2

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Here's a direct link to the latest VA rating criteria for dental issues (just in case the other link might be out of date): 

§4.150   Schedule of ratings—dental and oral conditions

Does he happen to have pain or limited motion when opening his jaw, chewing, etc... ? Just asking because TMJ (9905) may apply. DeLuca (painful motion = limited motion) may also be a factor. Worth checking with a ruler. 

Remember, he needs just a single dental SC rating to get his dental covered by the VA.

Yes, posed this same question to him today. He does have pain and some problems chewing. He has been referred to outside endorsements still on AD, but retires in 3-4 months. Has had major issues with teeth, since the injury in 96. Thanks for your help.