VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BVA Grant...Now What...

Rate this topic

RMEvet08

Just wanted to share my process for those of you who may be in the legacy appeals phase or those who are just starting the process. Fight for what you deserve and never give up! If you don't have the means to fight find a VSO that will. I've been in the appeals process since 2011 and honestly there were times when i gave up only to save my sanity despite all the madness going on with the VA and records mismanagement i found it easier to completely forget about my case rather than vigilante means of justice i.e. (trolling the VA in writing, contacting my congressman(woman) or media outlets. I feel like there are so many veterans who share my experience that I must shed light just to give others hope. So here we go...

Claim filed 10/2010 (PTSD)

Claim denied 04/2011 (PTSD)

NOD/VA Form 9 (took place during the required time frame)

2012 Waiting... (called the VA, no concrete answer)

2013 Waiting... (called the VA, no concrete answer)

2014 Waiting... C&P exam. VA doctor failed to give indication as to whether or not claim is service connected (user error)

2015 Waiting... (letter received certifying my case to the board)

2016 Waiting... (called the VA, no concrete answer)

2017 (letter received for board hearing 05/2017)

May, 2017 (board hearing held)

2018 Waiting... (transcribe stage then off to sit in room waiting 
for judges decision)

Aug 2018 (BVA grant letter in the mail dated 08/15/2018)

Still waiting...

Since my BVA grant thank to an inside source at the VBA my case was made ready a week after the VARO received the BVA grant decision in which it only took the VARO an additional week to grant 100% PTSD effective 04/2011. Strangely my inside source has sent me pictures of my rating yet the VA reps tell me when I call there is no update as of yet. Anyway I am blessed to have won my case. Just looking to see how long the process has taken for other following a BVA grant. I do understand that my situation is unique considering my source at the VBA was able to push the button so to speak to speed up the process but im told for normal situations it can usually take 4-6 months for the VARO to implement a grant or even longer. The back pay amount definately makes a difference in the timeline from what im told anything over 25k needs 3 signatures and a pay audit completed prior to payout.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You posted "Aug 2018 (BVA grant letter in the mail dated 08/15/2018)"

Have you received the actual BVA decision in the mail yet?

If not have you accessed the BVA web site to see if the award is posted there yet?

https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp

You can search by the Docket number.

BVA made 97 decisions in August 201maybe I have misunderstood you-

then again I have VAOLA PARANOIA, and learned never to believe anything VA says they did-unless I have proof that they did it.

"Just looking to see how long the process has taken for other following a BVA grant."

It took  the VARO almost 8 months I think, to pay me retro on a BVA grant.

But, I too ,was in a unique situation. It should never really take that long but the BVA is working faster these days then the ROs are.

Edited by Berta

Greetings Berta,

I've seen your posts all over the veteran online forum community and I must say its pretty cool to see you respond to my post. You are very active in the veteran community and for that I and We thank you! To answer your questions, yes I have received my BVA grant letter back in Aug and my case has made some pretty good progress since then thanks to my buddy at the VBA and I've been told its only a matter of time before its signed off by the 3rd signature required and paid out. My rating decision by the VARO was on 8/27/2018 so I'm coming up on 90 days this month since my grant was implemented by the VA. I believe what held it up since then is the pay audit and the 3 signatures required for such a large backpay award.

Edited by RMEvet08

RMEvet08,

You are very fortunate to have a contact at the VBA to move things along for you.  We have been waiting 8 months TODAY for our BVA grant to be implemented.  We have seen NO movement in implementing my husbands percentage increase or retro.  I hope you have better luck.  My husbands claim is at the Atlanta RO.  

Thank you and yes I know i was very fortunate to know someone there it was honestly by faith because he only started working at VBA 6 months ago and this Friday is his last day as he has decided to move onto a better opportunity.  Sorry to hears its been 8 months for you I know depending on the complexity of the grant it can take anywhere from 4-6 months but were there issues the RO still had to decide on or was it clear cut? Also, just thinking maybe the grant has already been issued a rating along with an effective date but the RO will not update ebennies or disclose that when you call the VA as I've experienced. Was this appeal connected to a retirement benefits as well I heard that can really prolong the pay audit since a DFAS and VA audits will need to be completed. How far back is the original claim date which determines the effective date maybe you are due some serious money and they have to do some major auditing. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use