VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

WHY?

Rate this question

Kelly Severance

Question

Hello Hadit community.  Many of you know our background.  Here's the latest.....I filed an IRIS inquiry several days ago asking for the status of a dependency claim on our daughter in college.  These claims usually take a couple of months.  I filed the claim on July 4.  Estimated completion on Sept. 5 (according to ebenefits).  So 2 months AFTER estimated completion, I did the inquiry.  Here's what it said: A review of our electronic records shows the dependency claim is awaiting finalization of the appeal that was granted March 3, 2018.  It goes on to say that the appeal is pending reivew and processing.......etc, etc, same old, same old......

So I guess we will not be paid for a simple dependency claim until they finalize the granted appeal (on MARCH 3).  This is so frustrating!  We are hanging on by a thread financially!  Even that extra $150 a month for our daughter would be a tremendous help!  8 months since appeal grant from BVA and no sign of any implementation..........  

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Try calling the toll free number, and ask them to do an iimmediate dependent add.  Allison Hickey initiated that about 4 years ago, and it did work for a few Vets, and you may get lucky and it works for you, provided that you have submitted the applicable form and birth ccertificate.  It may be more complicated if this child is "college age"...you probably have to document that she is "in school", and not just school age.  Perhaps a official grade list from her college.  Hope this helps, it may/may not, but is worth a try.  

As an alternative, try adding it on ebenefits, submitting the documentation, above, there.  Often, I have found when I "resubmitted" info to VA it was the first time they got it.  VA looves to lose our evidence and application forms..it saves work for VA employees, as some Vets will just forget about it.  

Edited by broncovet

Thanks Broncovet and Vetquest for your response.  We have called IRIS twice.  Both times they have said that nothing further is needed from us or the school.  So when I submitted the last inquiry I got the "waiting on finalization of appeal granted March 7" reply.  Ebenefits also says nothing needed from us or others.  I just can't believe they are going to hold that simple claim when they have everything they need to close it until the GRANTED appeal has been promulagated....... We've had to do that claim every year since she started college and it has always been handled quickly.  I just am HOPING that it means they are close to finalizing the appeal!