VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&T!!!

Rate this topic

ssgtob1

Hi all,

Been a long time since I posted. It's been about 4 years since I got my BBE with 100% rating. Even though I was 100%, 4 of my conditions required reevaluating after 5 years. I stressed every day for the last 4 years, as money was tight and I couldn't afford to lose 100%. 

I signed up for USPS informed delivery and it showed today that a letter was coming from the VA evidence intake center. Did some research and worried all day about what it could be. It showed up and was a letter that said they reviewed my original claim and decided to just make them all permanent! I'm now 100% P&T, the kids have education assistance, and my property taxes are now $0!

• HadIt.com Elder

Vetquest, depending on when you was granted the 100% or if you were granted the 100% P&T?

You should check out your benefits more thoroughly  especially the education benefits for your dependents.

Who Is Eligible and Time Periods

Children and spouses of veterans who are totally and permanently disabled are eligible for Dependents' Educational Assistance. Spouses can generally use these benefits for 10 years from the date the VA deems them eligible. In some cases, spouses can use the benefits for 20 years. This happens when the veteran was rated permanently and totally disabled within three years after discharge from the service, and the 20-year-period begins running on the date the veteran received the disability rating.

Children are eligible for the benefits from the Dependents' Educational Assistance program between 18 and 26 years old. Sometimes eligibility can begin before age 18 and continue past age 26. Children remain eligible for Dependents' Educational Assistance even after they marriedChildren who are active service members in the military are not eligible to receive this benefit while on active duty. Once discharged, benefits are available as long as the discharge is not under dishonorable conditions. The period of eligibility for Educational Assistance will be extended by the amount of time spent on active duty, but this extension will usually not go beyond a child's 31st birthday.

Yes this is GREAT News?

Depending on the Chapter 35 DEA EED, if any of your kids served in the Military, that might extend their Chap 35 eligibility to include their years of service.

Personal example: My Chapter 35 for me and my daughter came 3 years after my husband died. She had already enlisted into the USAF.  She sent in the paper work ( her DD 214 and copy of the award letter )to VA EDU department and they made a major error on her Cert of eligibility as she was soon to turn 26-.She called me up and was furious because the regulations are right on the form she had to file.

I had to explain that VA EDU is often an oxyoron and I wrote a NOD but she said I also called CUE on them-( dont have copy anymore) mailed it to her, she signed and mailed it to VA EDU , a mere 3-4 weeks later she got the right Certificate 7 years and one month of Chapter 35.

I used Chap 35 ,myself but my limiting date soon  ran out.I paid for the rest of my degree myself but when I won my SC death claim, they sent me a new Chap 35 eligibility date , and ended up reimbursing me for 6 or 8 thou- forget- that I spent on my tuition after my first entitlement ran out.

My daughter got so many college credits from her Mil time, she Clepped some more credits and  never even used her Chapter 35. She did not want to deal with the VA at all.

It is Very unfair the way VA handles Chap 35, sometimes. But that all depends on the EED they decide on,.

ChampVA, which the spouse would eligible for too , and maybe the kids-depending on their age- has a reimbursement scenario as well- and CHAMPVA is wonderful.

They have their own web site and the application form is on their site. I have had only one problem regarding CHAMPVA-that is I was charged for a med because a new pharmacist said CHAMPVA would not cover it. I checked in my CHAMPVA booklet  as soon as I got home and they sure were suppposed to.

I called CHAMPVA and they handled this in a heart beat. About 10 minutes later the pharmacist called me to tell me my cash refund was there.

I wish veterans could get CHAMPVA- VA seems to mess up the Choice Program, as it is.

Edited by Berta

On 11/10/2018 at 1:56 PM, Berta said:

Yes this is GREAT News?

Depending on the Chapter 35 DEA EED, if any of your kids served in the Military, that might extend their Chap 35 eligibility to include their years of service.

Personal example: My Chapter 35 for me and my daughter came 3 years after my husband died. She had already enlisted into the USAF.  She sent in the paper work ( her DD 214 and copy of the award letter )to VA EDU department and they made a major error on her Cert of eligibility as she was soon to turn 26-.She called me up and was furious because the regulations are right on the form she had to file.

I had to explain that VA EDU is often an oxyoron and I wrote a NOD but she said I also called CUE on them-( dont have copy anymore) mailed it to her, she signed and mailed it to VA EDU , a mere 3-4 weeks later she got the right Certificate 7 years and one month of Chapter 35.

I used Chap 35 ,myself but my limiting date soon  ran out.I paid for the rest of my degree myself but when I won my SC death claim, they sent me a new Chap 35 eligibility date , and ended up reimbursing me for 6 or 8 thou- forget- that I spent on my tuition after my first entitlement ran out.

My daughter got so many college credits from her Mil time, she Clepped some more credits and  never even used her Chapter 35. She did not want to deal with the VA at all.

It is Very unfair the way VA handles Chap 35, sometimes. But that all depends on the EED they decide on,.

ChampVA, which the spouse would eligible for too , and maybe the kids-depending on their age- has a reimbursement scenario as well- and CHAMPVA is wonderful.

They have their own web site and the application form is on their site. I have had only one problem regarding CHAMPVA-that is I was charged for a med because a new pharmacist said CHAMPVA would not cover it. I checked in my CHAMPVA booklet  as soon as I got home and they sure were suppposed to.

I called CHAMPVA and they handled this in a heart beat. About 10 minutes later the pharmacist called me to tell me my cash refund was there.

I wish veterans could get CHAMPVA- VA seems to mess up the Choice Program, as it is.

I was just wondering about champva today. I currently carry bcbs insurance for my wife and kids. The champva site makes the coverage sound very limiting. I was originally thinking I could drop the bcbs and save a ton of money. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use