VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New VA disability claim question

Rate this question

Navyguy2013

Question

Looks like I had posted this in the wrong section so I am re-posting here.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get some help on.

Background: While on active duty, my PSA was elevated, it was 5.7, then later it was 5.8. (High number is above 4). Other than PSA tests, only digital exams on my prostate was done while in the military. (This data is in my military medical record along with seeing a urologist while on active duty). No diagnosis was determined. I retired in 2013, and my PSA has been elevated ever since I retired. About 7 months ago, I had a biopsy and no Cancer was detected, I also had a MRI of the prostate and no cancer was detected, just a few areas of interest were detected. Now, 7 months after this biopsy, my PSA is 28 (Joy). I have not had another biopsy yet, but my next appointment for this is next week, I am sure a biopsy is in my near future. I have never been diagnosed with cancer, but statistically speaking, this PSA # coupled with my history of increasing PSA, and a family history, it probably equates to me having cancer. So with all of that said.

Question 1: If (Hopefully not) it ends up being prostate cancer, is the fact I had an elevated PSA while on active duty, and I have continued to have an elevated PSA ever sense, satisfy the nexus requirement for service connection for a new VA disability claim for prostate cancer?

Question 2: I am currently at 90% for VA disability. If I submit a new VA disability claim, with the VA revisit all/some of my current disabilities? NOTE: I am still under the “5 year rule”. Effective date for these disabilities is 3/25/2018.

Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom you can provide!

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I can not competently answer your first question but I will bump it and hope that Broncovet or Buck, or Bertha will see it.

As far as the VA revisiting your other claims they can legally but I do not see where it would benefit them.  This leads to the untrue advice where you already have 90%; do not rock the boat.  I have rocked the boat for thirty-two years and have only had good things happen at the BVA (they read all of the evidence of record). 

I agree with Vetquest, never be afraid to rock the boat. If you didn't you would never get an increase in your ratings. I also saw an thread here about always keep asking for disabilities when they arise even after you reach 100% P&T. 

@Navyguy2013 I am glad to see that you are keeping up with your PSA readings, even if (which I pray this never happens) the earlier you catch prostate cancer the better the chances for a quick and full recovery. 

Edited by paulstrgn