VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Never formally applied

jfrei

Question

I never actually formally applies the woman in charge don’t waste my time a year ago I’ll deny you can drive to your appointments. Fast forward one year I’ve been going to treatment for two years for my TBI I was put on SSdI and made 100 p and t. Just recently I’ve been seeking care for myself, along with my two children 1 and 4 so I may attend my 2 to 3 appointments a week for cognitive therapy. Now my wife has to continue working a part time job so we don’t lose our home. I was denied SMC they said because I can swallow a pill on my own and they never addressed actually remembering to take my meds. But I’m tired of the appeal game and I am already talking to a vso who is reviewing my case. I have two letters from my doctors saying I’m in treatment for my serious injuries and another one suggesting 2 to 3 appointments are needed weekly to regain the highest level of functioning again. But then says I need my spouse for my medication management. Should I actually formally apply to the caregiver program on Monday? 

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Had official interview done at my home with my spouse.She said I definitely qualify and should be receiving more help soon and my spouse can do her training in a couple of weeks. So basically the previous manager told me not to apply was wrong and I should have applied almost two years ago, word to the wise in case your told not to apply. If you feel you meet the requirements just apply get a formal decision. Don’t let your ego be bruised if you need help. Thanks again for the other that told me to go ahead and apply.

This goes with most things these days.  Keep asking "different" persons until you find the one that gives you the best answer, especially when dealing with the VA.

When someone tells you no, it usually means they don't care or don't have time for you.  You are just a number.

Keep digging,

Hamslice

The woman in charge of the program has been relocated to another program, and magically the program starts working for the hospital again...

The VA isnt liable when we "follow bad advice" such as that given by a VSO or even a VA employee.  

However, IF you are awarded SMC L, you "should" get an effective date back to the date the evidence shows you needed aid and attendance.  Of course, this date has to be documented by a doctor.   

The reason is that SMC is "inferred" whenever you meet the criteria.  You shouldnt "have" to apply for it, but, when awarded, it should go back to the date that you met the criteria.