VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medicare Monthly Payment

Rate this topic

I have been paying for Medicare each month roughly $133 or so per month since I was approved for SSDI in March of 2017, and I am 100% T&P (receiving care through the VA). I have never used an outside doctor using Medicare, and never have used the benefits. I want to make sure that I am utilizing all of the benefits/plans that I am approved for. Do I need Medicare/is it worth the monthly payment? I would like to use an outside doc outside of the VA anyway, due to some of the lack of care or rude treatment that some of the doctors have shown. Do I just contact any PCP and ask if they take medicare to start seeing them for my annuals, etc.

Lastly, will I be covered with Medicare if and when I go to the ER/hospital stay outside of the VA?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/12/2018 at 3:26 PM, Mitch242 said:

Do I just contact any PCP and ask if they take medicare to start seeing them for my annuals, etc.

A little confusing. Sounds like your PCP, which sounds like is at the VA, would have nothing to do with medicare. But I do think you need to contact the physician you wish to visit and see if they accept medicare. Hope this helps.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, Mitch242 said:

I have been paying for Medicare each month roughly $133 or so per month

what is covered is dependent on the plan you are purchasing. Medicare has parts A, B, and D that most people know about. You frequently hear about Medicare Advantage plans being hawked on TV.

If you tell the VA you have Medicare they will BILL medicare for part of your treatments. it is the law.

if you don't tell them they will eventually find out.

Just ask your Private non-VA doc if they take Medicare. not all do. The plan provider has a book listing all doctors in your network.

One thing to consider in relation to Part D. VA provides meds and if you list your outside docs with the VA you can get your scripts filled. However the VA does not allow some brands that Medicare does and with outside scripts you can actually get  really low co-pays with some of the discount programs available and be able to get them filled at walgreens, cvs, costco, walmart, etc. instead of waiting on the VA.

Additionally a lot of the Medicare Advantage plans offer free gym memberships if that is something you are interested in.

here is another point to consider. If you are ever taken to the hospital and they know you are a vet with va coverage they will try to shove the entire bill to the VA instead of to your other insurance. This can mean a nightmare to you if VA rejects the bill and the VA can reject bills even if you are 100% P&T combat vet missing limbs. The R''s in congress keep trying to change the rules so that more of the cost is on the vet or their other insurance. Wilkie has asked for more leeway to reject outside med bills and may just get it.