VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD/TBI, Headaches, and bad back

Rate this question

Vet Dog and wife

Question

Hello, I have posted on this subject in the past. We are still living abroad.

We have a psychologist, a physiatrist, a neurologist, and a general practitioner that are wanting to help my husband with his VA claim. These doctors said they would write letters and fill out any necessary DBQs, and they asked me to what I needed and to bring any forms to them, and they will get it done. Could anyone let me know exactly what I need to do from here?

Some doctors agree that my husband is severely disabled for both TBI and PTSD. they also agreed that he needs daily aid and attendance.

My husband had to be admitted to the hospital due to his PTSD and will be there for a few more days.

My husband is a 100 percent, permanently and totally, Service-connected, disabled veteran. In 1980 he opened a claim and was rated 0% service-connected for a scar for occipital area scar, skull. code 7805 (according to his service medical records, his scar is from a blow to the head with a pickax while serving in the Marines.)

During his time in the marines, he was a full-time boxer.

In his 1980 claim, my husband was denied service connection for headaches because he hadn’t provided evidence. He filed a notice of disagreement (in 1981?) but, as always, he never followed through, nor was he mentally capable. Nor did the veteran’s service officer work hard to file a complete and proper disability claim. (This claim was again lacking most of my husband’s problems.) Along with his cognitive and emotional issues, we believe my husband may have been homeless, jobless, separated from his wife, and having marital problems at the time.

In 1997, My husband reopened his claim and received 100% P&T VA service-connected compensation, and he was rated totally and permanently 100% disabled with TBI; he also has service-connected PTSD, which is combined under his TBI. This combined rating falls under his TBI rating. His 100% rating is service connected.

His C-File and VA medical records show that he has also been diagnosed with Dementia pugilistica, TBI, PTSD, severe depression, generalized anxiety disorder, debilitating headaches, hearing problems and tinnitus, stiff neck, stiff and sore hands, and sore feet, his ankles sometimes fail, he has lower back issues, and other problems. Most of these issues were listed by the nurse when he was discharged, but the doctor threw the documents in the trash.

Found in my husband's Claims-File: The VA said that on 07/29/1998 my husband was awarded 100% Service Connected, permanently and totally for dementia due to head trauma with mood disorder and PTSD code 9304.

We were told by Berta and others that we need to get separate ratings for his TBI and PTSD. Since he is already rated for PTSD and TBI what DBQ do we use? What does the letter need to say for a proper separation?

He also suffers from severe migraine headaches several times a month cause him to stay in bed. Does he just need a DBQ for his headaches or also a letter, and from what kind of doctor?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you again for all Your help

Edited by Vet Dog and wife

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The VA gave him 

MMPI,-combat related ,  the Weschler,  the Shipley Institute test, Trial-Mosing test , the Hand test, and one more- forget name of other test. That was many years ago but if this battery of testings has been enhanced since, it would definitely help them separate the PTSD from TBI.

TBI is a physical disability- PTSD is a MH disability.

My husband is still at the psychiatric hospital.  will hopefully get out in a couple days. His doctors said they would write any letter or DBQs to verify his need for my full-time help, his migraines headaches, his PTSD, His TBI, and any other issues he is suffering from. could I get some help as to where to go from here, what kind of letters he needs, and what DBQ he needs? one psychiatrist feels he can separate my husbands  TBI from His PTSD. all the doctors agree that my husband should go back to the United States ASAP due to his need for Medical care at the VA. 

thank you all so much for all your help

Thank you very very much for all your help. this is all so confusing for both of us, but my husband has very caring Psychologist and VSO, but his VSO wants my husband back in the US ASAP so he can better aid my husband with his claims

spelling

My husband is still at the psychiatric hospital.  will hopefully get out in a couple days. His doctors said they would write any letter or DBQs to verify his need for my full-time help, his migraines headaches, his PTSD, His TBI, and any other issues he is suffering from. could I get some help as to where to go from here, what kind of letters he needs, and what DBQ he needs? one psychiatrist feels he can separate my husbands  TBI from His PTSD. all the doctors agree that my husband should go back to the United States ASAP due to his need for Medical care at the VA. 

thank you all so much for all your help

update

We are still presently living out of the country, but we have a psychiatrist that feels that my husband is complexly and separately disabled from both PTSD and TBI. He has read all my husband’s VA medical records and his Claims file. He is willing to fill out these DBQs and/or write an IMO, he also feels that my husband’s migraine headaches are very severe and are due to his boxing in the military and getting hit in the head with a pick-ax while in service.