VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA will not accept medical records on CD

Rate this question

vern2

Question

My son is retiring from service and had a strange call from VA rep. The son plans to submit his medical records to VA via CD that was given to him by medical records of his service (USMC). The VA rep stated that could not accept CD as policy would not allow them to use an outside CD in their computers. Sounds like BS to me. Does not the VA routinely request service members medical records from the various services medical branches? It would take a lot of paper for my son to print out these records and his C & P exam is Dec 12, I think. Does anybody have similar experience or should he have been given paper copies of his medical records by his medical section. I retired in 2005  (USAF)and was given everything on paper, no CD.

5 answers to this question

I can understand why the VA would not accept a CD as most any government agency would not.  There is always the danger of introducing a virus into their computers. You only need to print out those portions that are relevant to the disabilities he is claiming.

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually your son has the upper Hand..if he has all is medical in service records on CD.he can download the Acrobat pro reader..and can pull up any records he needs and make copies..like was mention just the records he needs for his claims.

He needs to guard that CD with his life...at least he knows where his records are.

Print the CD twice and put one copy away in a safe, fireproof.

Then use the other copy to parse and send in pertinent records.

Or, send in the whole thing and they will add to your VA med record.

But, but, but, always keep that one copy complete.  Twenty years from now you will know why..

Hamslice

I am not sure why your son even has to submit any medical records to begin with. The VA will request his medical records from archives. I never had to submit any of my records. Once you submit a claim to the VA, you won't be able to get your own records from the archives anymore (can't remember the name of the archives where military records go after service) as they all go to the VA. From that point forward, you must request your records from the VA. I too have my records on CD from when I retired. Good to have when the VA says you didn't have certain things happen in service.