VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD symptoms equate to the rating formula

Rate this question

tazntaylr

Question

I am writing my claim for PTSD. How do PTSD symptoms equate to the rating formula for mental disorders? Trying to see where my symptoms are rated.

Sorry if this has been answered. Did not find it in a search.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Veterans have a hard time understanding this type of info

Buck, Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you have a good day

I am not sure its that hard to understand, but either way it is what he was asking for.

The C&P DBQ form includes a section (II) for Clinical Findings and each of the Criterion is listed and there are check boxes under each.

When the OP gets his DBQ's he can match them to the data to gauge what he feels is the severity of the diagnosis.

I really hate the reality that VA terminology does not align with common use and that veterans sometimes accidentally harm themselves by not knowing the words the VA is looking for to justify their claim.

For example I have just done a pair of C&P's for what I called "dizziness" not knowing or having any idea that to the VA dizziness and vertigo are completely different things and there is bigger hill to climb getting rated for dizziness as opposed to vertigo which also has a hill to climb. Had I known better I would have claimed vertigo specifically, which would ward off any attempt by VA raters to down play my condition.

As always nothing means anything until the rater makes a determination, and if the OP disagrees he can NOD the results.

To my mind having this information has only two possible negatives.

1) the rare & random veteran looking to 'make their claim better' by tricking the doctor

2) as a false flag those that claim vets are malingering leeches if they claim compensation. 

We know both groups do exist and we also know the first is very small and the second is very political.

The random vet out to trick the system will find this information freely available on the VA site or elsewhere. That person has likely gone to reddit or other sites asking/looking for ways to "beat" the system. Having it here does no additional harm.

Whatever happens, I hope the OP gets the rating they deserve.

• HadIt.com Elder

GeekySquid, Happy Thanksgiving to you & hope you have a great day as well.

We got a Handfull of company in this weekend Enjoying my Grandkids,  My youngest grandson is in from OCS (Air Force) and my oldest grandson is here that just got out of the Military( US Army) he was in '' Djibouti  Africa''  for the past year  he was a combat medic/on stand by deployment for North Korea?....so they are telling me some stories...And I am telling my oldest about the VA Claims  he hurt his BACK while in and I'm letting him know how to file a claim for it,  he is going to file using a VSO...he is going back to Texas Tech to finish up is degree.

And of course I am miserable going around and eating all these goodies I see out! eh!

Thanksgiving and Christmas are Our favorite Holidays its when my family all gets together.  and I love all the goodies  Lol

Yes I agree the info above is good  but this type of info (mental health) is usually for the VA to figure it all out,  Its always good to know what the VA uses for medical terms to our benefit  and its also good for the Veteran to know what symptoms are and how they are rated.

the more we know the better...as Ms Tbird always says Knowledge is Power  as for as our claims go.

25 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

And of course I am miserable going around and eating all these goodies I see out! eh!

funny..enjoy your gluttony today as well as the family. lol

Texas Tech is a great school and if your oldest (son? grandson? ) is going into any computing field please point out to him that Data Science/Business Intelligence is the future field to be in to earn the most money, more than Cyber Security ever will be.

Data will remain the top paying segment of Tech for the next decade or two  and the skills translate across all domains. From Agriculture to politics, to banking, to retail and on an on. Every business domain is hungry for Data folks and there are so few of them currently available and I know TT offers a Masters in Data Science. If he is looking for longevity and future top paying employment Data is the tech field and it is wide open.

good luck

Thank you both for the information.

My question was the schedule does not really list PTSD symptoms. I can look up symptoms on many sites, yes. But have not found where they relate to the schedule. Some yes, most no. Just looking to see where my medical symptom notes fall under the schedule. 10-30-50-70.

A Happy Thanksgiving, with a great Christmas and New Year to both of you and your families.

11 minutes ago, tazntaylr said:

A Happy Thanksgiving, with a great Christmas and New Year to both of you and your families.

you too.

something to keep in mind is that there is no definitive, all inclusive document for the symptoms of most rateable conditions. The DSM 5 criterion for each region can be met by different symptoms. It is up to the C&P doctor to list what they find and place them in the right criterion region.

you can look at other C&P's that people have posted but those would only be potential symptoms your doc may or may not have found in your case.

good luck

11 minutes ago, tazntaylr said:

you too.

something to keep in mind is that there is no definitive, all inclusive document for the symptoms of most rateable conditions. The DSM 5 criterion for each region can be met by different symptoms. It is up to the C&P doctor to list what they find and place them in the right criterion region.

you can look at other C&P's that people have posted but those would only be potential symptoms your doc may or may not have found in your case.

good luck