VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No accreditation

Rate this question

PALADIN

Question

My question is two fold.

Does a County Veterans Service Officer/Post Service Officer have to be accredited to prepare a FDC and submit it to an NSO or DSO.?

If a Veterans Service Organization or anyone holding a VA Accreditation has knowledge of individuals such as above assisting in the preparation of a claim for benefits, do they have a duty to report that violation?

Thank you

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

We have fully accredited County VSOs where I live-I would think anyone, even the claimant themselves can prepare a claim and submit it to a NSO, or DSO- whatever DSO  means.

I think many county veterans service agencies tie in with the American Legion anyhow.Then the POA is held by the AL, if the clamants wants them to.

We assist here in the preparation of claims.I know over the years I have written CUE claims here for vets, claims for a few local vets.

I have met a few Post "Service Officer" wannaees- I would not want them to handle a cliam at all -if all they do is hang around a AL bar and have Post meetings.

Why are you concerned?

One thing I dont like is whe a NSO, VSO or vet rep files a claim from their office, yet fails to give the claimant a copy of what they filed. I guess it would show up on ebenefits though.....

Actually as far as POA goes, a vet can retain anyone to be on their POA for a one time basis.

Sometimes they pick a family member.

They have to fill out a VA form or something and state that they will not charge the vet any $$$.

• HadIt.com Elder

you need  a good reliable experienced VSO to help you,  call around ask what is his/her YEARS  experince & track record for Denials?

and Approval  and yes most VSO are suppose to be accredited by the VA

VSO's are trained and accredited by the VA or other recognized organizations to provide assistance to veterans, their dependents, and survivors. This includes not only applying for federal and state benefits but also providing resources related to the following:

Compensation and Pension

Health Care

Education & Training

Employment

Burial & Survivor

Housing

Transportation

Military Records

Local VSOs can be found in offices specific to each state, your county courthouse, your local VA office, or the local organization's headquarters..

Just to add- Vet reps and VSOs etc, and also vet lawyers and IMO doctors CANNOT perform miracles.

I have a friend in the VA system now for well over 10 years-fighting a claim he cannot succeed in.

He has no nexus. I certainly tried to help him but, sometimes there is no nexus to be found.

He also had good representation-and paid lots of cash for an IMO but still an IMO doctor can only render an opinion that is based on fact.Also had one or two good vet lawyers.

He would never post his claims issues here.

Anyone can "prepare" a claim- but this vet prepared his original claim without realizing we often have to Prove everything.

1County VSR's are "accredited" by rules in that county, which often includes accreditation by one of the big 3 DAV, VFW, moph.   

Part of that accreditation includes "training" which may involve "shadowing" a more experienced rep.  

Its pretty easy to get accredited, else there would not be so many bad vso's.  

2No, they dont have a "duty to report" a trainee filling out forms.