• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Kingair

Medicare and other insurance

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2019 at 8:11 AM, jfrei said:

Is their a way to opt out now for B or is permanent I’m only 33

If you did not elect Part B, they cannot charge you for it. Part A is automatic.  I am surprised the VA would tell you its not needed.... first they normally don't get involved with Medicare ,second they cannot charge Medicare for care so why would they get involved.

I also  use VA for much of my medical care,  but I still pay for Part B Medicare  because it gives me another option. 

For example,  while I can get care on Fort Hood, sometimes they refer me out of the system and then Medicare and Tricare pick up the cost.  If I didn't have both I would have to pay a co-payment. 

I only use VA  because of prosthesis ie wheelchair, auto adapted equipment etc, so I must be in their primary care system to get items to support my service  connected disability. I do not trust the VA to do any surgery, in fact, I would not even agree to be admitted to the VA. 

And another kicker if I was admitted to the VA I would lose my Aid & Attendance  for the period I was in the VA Hospital.

Instead, I would go outside the system  or to a military hospital for admittance and I get what I consider better care, and keep my A&A even if in a military Hospital.  ( I have been admitted twice since Feb 2019 into Darnell Army Medical Center , even the Food is Free).

With Medicare  part B I have three options for medical care,  you only have one...... think about what would happen if you were miles from home and involved in an auto accident and your not near a VA hospital.. what will you do then ? you will pay out of pocket  that is what you will do.

Sure no one wants to pay for Part B,  but when you need it you will be glad you have it.

Edited by Richard1954
  • Like 1

I agree with you, I just think it is a shame we need to also have medicare B when we already have tricare. For me right now I don't spend that much on co-pay. I live near Langley AFB and Ft. Eustis my family and I are able to see the doctors there. My wife even had major surgery at Langley a few weeks ago and nothing out of pocket. 

But I know I will be required to buy Medicare part B when I turn 65, just another expense to look forward to.

I agree thanks guys always nice to have a fail safe from the va

On 6/2/2019 at 1:09 PM, paulstrgn said:

I agree with you, I just think it is a shame we need to also have medicare B when we already have tricare.

Colonel George "Bud" Day, a lawyer and a Medal of Honor winner, took the implied free medical care issue for retirees to the Supreme Court and the court, in a compromise verdict, ruled that any military veteran who served prior to a date in 1956 and were honorably retired were eligible for free medical care under TRICARE For Life. 

In 2002, the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington, D.C., ruled 9-to-4 that whatever recruiters had promised was not binding unless supported by statute, and that Congress never passed a law authorizing free lifetime health care.  The court acknowledged the "moral claims" of plaintiffs but rejected every legal argument on their behalf.  These were arguments a three-judge panel of the same court had embraced a year earlier.

The Supreme Court brought Day's remarkable seven-year court fight to a close in 2003 when it declined to hear an appeal.  By then, however, Congress had enacted TRICARE for Life and the TRICARE Senior Pharmacy program, the biggest expansion in government-funded health benefits in decades.  This left some retirees satisfied that the promise of lifetime care had been restored.  Day, pointing to the Medicare Part B premium retirees must pay, disagreed.

"Paying a hundred bucks a month is not free," he said. 

Later it was mandated by congress that we pay for Medicare part B to keep Tricare for life, and all retirees where included.