VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help interpreting knee rating regulations

Rate this question

brycebeast

Question

Recently got back in touch with some old squad buddies. I'm no pro at all but trying to help them with some claims issues. Anyway the issue I've seen is that everyone has a single 10% rating on their knee. I cant get all the rating codes but they are all listed as "knee strain". Looking at regs seems to be up to 4 different ratings a person can pyramid on a knee, but all of them have gotten different advice from vso's on how to go about trying to get more than a basic 10% since everyone appears to meet at least the minimum requirements for meniscus, extension, and bending motions ratings. Everyone is scared to file expecting va to do their worst. Any advice or experience? 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

7 hours ago, brycebeast said:

Recently got back in touch with some old squad buddies. I'm no pro at all but trying to help them with some claims issues. Anyway the issue I've seen is that everyone has a single 10% rating on their knee. I cant get all the rating codes but they are all listed as "knee strain". Looking at regs seems to be up to 4 different ratings a person can pyramid on a knee, but all of them have gotten different advice from vso's on how to go about trying to get more than a basic 10% since everyone appears to meet at least the minimum requirements for meniscus, extension, and bending motions ratings. Everyone is scared to file expecting va to do their worst. Any advice or experience? 

As long as, the medical evidence shows the conditions are diagnosed and show no signs of improvement, I don't think any veteran should be scared to file for compensation.

Have you heard of secondary-conditions or have been provided guidance about them? In most cases, secondary conditions are rated seperately.

Here is how to claim secondary condtions:

1. Must have a Service-Connected Disability

2. Must have a current diagnosis of secondary conditions

3. Nexus of opinion stating "at least as likely as not" #1 and #2 are linked.

The more medical evidence there is for a secondary condition the better. I always recommend a minimum of 1-2 years of established medical evidence.

Hope this information helps.

If you think that your condition has gotten worse you are more than welcome to file for an increase.  Do not be afraid of the VA, if you only have a ten percent rating you do not have much to lose.  There is always the BVA if the RO does not approve your increase.  Many times the VA gives a ten percent rating hoping the veteran thinks ok I got something and if I file for more I will lose what I have.  It's a numbers game, if they can get away with ten percent ratings they have higher numbers of veterans for the same money it costs for one one hundred percent veteran.