VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How the ---- does this happen?

Rate this question

Berta

Question

"Man Who Lied About Combat Service for Second Time Sentenced to Federal Prison

Charleston, South Carolina ---- United States Attorney Sherri A. Lydon announced today that Keith R. Hudson, 71, of Charleston, South Carolina, was sentenced to six months in federal prison and six months of home confinement for receiving $197,237 in benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) after falsely claiming to be a veteran.

Evidence presented to the court showed that Hudson falsely claimed that he was entitled to VA benefits because he was a veteran who had been in combat in Vietnam.  He even went so far as to claim that he had received two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star.

Hudson has committed the same crime in the past.  In 2005, he was prosecuted in Connecticut for the falsely claiming to be a veteran in order to claim VA benefits.  He was placed in pretrial diversion.  He moved to Charleston, South Carolina, and in 2012 he applied to the VA in Charleston for benefits.  He used the same falsified form from the Department of Defense, (a DD-214, “Report of Separation from Active Duty”) and claimed that he was in the Navy and saw combat as a medic, suffering wounds and other trauma.  He claimed that he served from August 1, 1967, through October 31, 1971.

This was all a fraud.  Hudson was never in the military.  He never served in the United States Navy, nor did he ever see combat in Vietnam.

Hudson asked for a probationary sentence, claiming poor health and noting his age, previous bypass surgeries, and cancer.  United States District Judge Richard M. Gergel denied Hudson’s motion for probation and instead sentenced him to 1 year of confinement, in a split sentence.  Six months of the confinement is to be served in federal prison, and six months is to be served as home confinement.  Hudson was also ordered to pay $297,237 in restitution."

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sc/pr/man-who-lied-about-combat-service-second-time-sentenced-federal-prison

(Honorable vets have to PROVE everything and this guy gets away with a falsified DD 214 to get comp. Sometimes I think I have seen it all- but I never saw a vet trying to mislead VA Twice!) My comment.

More

"U.S. Attorney Lydon emphasized the importance of this case for our country and for our community.  “This is an egregious crime,” she said.  “This Defendant trampled on the memory of those who have bravely served our country and suffered harm protecting us.  Hudson not only stole from the taxpayers by taking benefits he did not earn, he also stole directly from veterans who served our nation and protected our freedom.  Every minute of time he spent with a VA doctor or a staff member is a minute he stole from a real veteran.  He took resources that the VA just cannot afford to spare.  We are grateful to the Veterans Affairs Office of Inspector General for their investigative work on this case.”

Kim Lampkins, the Special Agent in Charge for the Veterans Administration Office of Investigations Criminal Investigations Division, said, "Those who defraud the VA harm all veterans.  VA benefits are intended solely for those who have protected this nation’s freedoms. We investigate individuals who commit fraud against the VA and are dedicated to defending veterans who genuinely earned our support."

The case against Hudson was investigated by the VA Office of Inspector General and prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Sean Kittrell of the Charleston office."

####

Edited by Berta

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know Ms berta ?

I read this this morning.

when some Veterans have a hard time getting their benefits  this guy gets approve and was not even in  the military...but he got caught  trying to get another claim....the thing that up set me was he only got 6 months in jail and 6 months probation  a spat on the hand.....it seems they approve the unknown before they approve the well known.  How did he do it without being in the military? he must used another veterans records/name  and SS#???

I agree with you Buck52, how does he only get 6 months in prison...it should have been several years at a minimum. It goes to show the dishonest know how to work the system better and faster than we do. I have read so many stories here where vets are fighting to get their claims approved and this fake gets it approved twice. I am glad at least they caught this jerk!!!

The VA went easy on this Vet because there are so many employees who defraud the VA/Vets, they want to set a precedence of "let em off easy" so their sentences will also be light if/when they ever get caught also.   

297,000 for a years jail time = almost 300k per year.  

And not only do veterans have to PROVE everything, we have to CONTINUOUSLY PROVE it time and time again. How was this guy not harassed like us?

Its just not the "stolen valor" people, its the general population too.

One of my frequent flyers went from jail to court last month with 15 felony charges and came out with one misdemeanor conviction.

All the DA's do anymore is make deals.  That way they can claim 99% success rate for their next election.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

Many years ago we told vets to get their DD 214s registered at their County Court House.That way they would always know where to get a copy if they lost their DD 214-

but too many wannabees started applying for VA comp- and I believe they got DD 214 info by going to the Vet Registry in Court Houses.

I went to our county court house one day- and they gave me free access to those registered DD214s.

I looked up a vet who was BSing us when I was with the ocal fire department.His DD 214 wasnt there but plenty more were.

Also I was told that even by giving just your birthdate out- one could find out more on you-dont know if that is true-

Still I cannot understand how the VA allowed a phony DD 214 to get by them. 

DD214s are not prepared via those old typewriters anymore- but if a vet found an old typewriter at a flea market or somewhere they could possibly alter an old DD214.This guy was not even a VET however-no SMRs???

maybe he had some "inside" help.