VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Need to Gather Evidence for Bipolar

Rate this question

JohnnyRain

Question

Hello friends, I have been diagnosed with bipolar a few years back by the VA. I was in the Army twice and had a stellar year my first time and the first few years the second round. I started having major issues in 2009 and got chaptered for "patterns of misconduct" in 2010 with an honorable (barely).

My question is, do I need to gather information showing that I most likely developed bipolar when  I was in the Army? DAV didn't say anything about it and I didn't ask him.

Thanks, Johnny

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Johnny Rain

Please make your post in your original posting.

posting the same post confuses the members that are trying to help you  so please keep to your original post.

Thanks

I thought I already replied to you somewhere here-----

I started having major issues in 2009 and got chaptered for "patterns of misconduct" in 2010 with an honorable (barely)."

Those episodes of misconduct could have been manifestations of Bi polar-

Found it- the topic was started by another veteran-

I answered your question on the second page of the thread - this happens when  vets start asking questions in someone else's topic....and then never find the answer they need .

Yes you need to gather evidence of Bi polar-manifested in service-

The bipolar vet I helped in this post below needed his complete SMRs and NAV 201 file.

I knew his VA psychologist  well- and prepared my assessment of a few things in his 201 ,for this VA doctor , as to the Captain's mass-and the VA shrink prepared an excellent nexus statement for him and he won.

I am still poed about it- he lived in the local VAMC Domicilary for years and then they kicked out all of the NSC vets and he was homeless-but it all turned out great in the long run for him.

Just click on the post here:

Edited by Berta

Yes.  Any evidence is good.  Remember you dont need an "iN SERVICE diagnosis", you need an "in service EVENT or AGGRAVATION".

Diagnosis change with medical knowledge.  For example, what we now call "PTSD" was once called "shell shock" and a few other things.  

You also need a "current diagnosis" and a nexus.  Focus on the 3 basic Caluza elements.  

More than one Vet has been given "misconduct type" of labels, when the symptoms are actually consistent with something else.    If I recall, there was some sort of class action regarding the many Vets who got "bad discharges" pretty much as a result of mental health disorders related to service.