VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NBC GI Bill statement is wrong

Rate this question

Berta

Question

My neighbor just called me to tell me the President refused to sign the retro bill for the GI Bill problem.

I only get my news from FOX.Didnt hear anything like that.

Then I just got this email:

VA Benefits Chief: "Every Single Veteran Will Be Made Whole"

"Today, during a hearing beA Benefits Chief: "Every Single Veteran Will Be Made Whole"fore the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs, VA Under Secretary for Benefits Paul Lawrence delivered the following statement: Before I get into my opening statement on the subject of this morning's hearing, I want to address a misleading NBC news story from late yesterday that gives the false impression that some Veterans on the GI Bill will not be made whole with respect to their housing payments based on an announcement VA made yesterday. "

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5153

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Berta said:

I only get my news from FOX.Didnt hear anything like that.

it is always interesting and telling when someone declares their sole or primary source of news. I personally try to read/hear all sides of issues that affect me and the majority of Americans. The interest arises in what one source does not report on. The silence can demonstrate a bias louder than reporting can.

NBC, as well as the Hill and other outlets, report that the information comes from Congressional Aides who were on the call with the VA people. Were they trolling the news media or did the call actually happen the way they said it did?

The VA spokesman, Curtis Cashour, refused to address the issue of retro pay yesterday when asked by the Tennassean reporter, a decidedly NOT liberal paper. Today he is out in full outrage trying to slam the reporting. Talking to every reporter he seems to be able to reach.

Frankly I do believe some VA person said it to Congressional Aides. Whether it was accurate at the time or if the VA changed their tune once it was reported is a different conversation.

What matters most is that they are now on the record as committed to paying the retro pay. Time will only tell how fast that happens and if they have to audit those 2 million claims that supposedly were the reason they wouldn't be paying the retro.

I agree with Berta.  CNN has been shown to get its "news" from social media, and unverified.  

FAKE news is not "just"  a slogan, the news media has pretty much lost any semblance of fairness, unbias, or even truth.  I get tired of hearing over and over and over how bad our president is, especially when much of this so called "news" is fake, often taken from social media without any confirmation.  For those reasons, I elect to get my news from Fox news, which I consider the most reliable of all news media.  

At least one of the "other" media has a national figure on there who has admitted he "came out" of the closet.   By employing a national figure which is diametrically oppossed to the principals of one party, we are unable to get an unbiased view.  We simply can not trust a representative of a major "special interest group" to fairly present the news in an unbiased way.  Its like asking a Chevrolet salesman to "fairly" rate its competitors.  

When the guy speaking to you has a "dog in the fight" you need to take into consideration that his opinion is biased by money.  

• Founder

We will see

VA Benefits Chief: "Every Single Veteran Will Be Made Whole"

Today, during a hearing before the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs, VA Under Secretary for Benefits Paul Lawrence delivered the following statement:

Before I get into my opening statement on the subject of this morning’s hearing, I want to address a misleading NBC news story from late yesterday that gives the false impression that some Veterans on the GI Bill will not be made whole with respect to their housing payments based on an announcement VA made yesterday.

Nothing could be further from the truth.  Each and every Veteran on the post-9/11 GI Bill will be made 100 percent whole -- retroactively if need be -- for their housing benefits for this academic year based on the current uncapped DoD rates, and, beginning in spring 2020, we will be in a position to provide Veterans with the new rates where applicable to meet the law known as the Forever GI Bill.

Once again – each and every, and I mean every single Veteran, will be made whole for their housing benefits this year.  As we announced yesterday, the rates we are providing are the current academic year uncapped DoD Basic Allowance for Housing rates based on the location of a school’s main campus, rather than the physical location of the student. 

For many students, this DoD BAH rate will be equal to or higher than their current payment.  If a student was overpaid due to the changes in law or because of VBA’s challenges in implementing the law, the student will not be held liable for the debt.

And, starting in the Spring term of 2020, VA will have solved its current technology difficulties so that the department is in a position to provide post-9/11 GI Bill Veterans the new rates, where applicable, to comply with the Forever GI Bill.

24 minutes ago, broncovet said:

For those reasons, I elect to get my news from Fox news, which I consider the most reliable of all news media.  

As I said to Berta, someone who declares they only get their news from a specific source is broadcasting a lot about themselves.

As for Trump, you can certainly believe as you wish, however this is the man who has proudly proclaimed he prefers "alternative facts" and "truthful hyperbole" instead of verifiable information.

He is the man who, on recording, bragged about sexually assaulting women then denied doing it. He is the man who has sent our troops to the U.S. border to protect us against a caravan of women and children. He is the man who has ordered and continued to allow, children to be ripped from the arms of their parents, and in some cases held them in cages for months on end.

He is the man who is and has insulted all of our Allies and embraced dictators and strongmen who are our traditional enemies.

He is also the man who spent years spreading the lie that our twice elected President, Obama, was not a U.S. Citizen. Claimed that Obama was  Muslim. Claimed to have found his "real" birth certificate....none of which is true  and he knew it as did all the members of the Tea Party who kept spreading that lie.

He is the same man who has insulted our senior Generals and Admirals, the CIA, the FBI, DHS, NSA, and every other alphabet soup agency we have and stated he believes Putin over the U.S. Defense System.

He is the man who has lied about his extra marital affairs, about writing a press release concerning that, about not knowing of a meeting his son had with Russians in his own building. He fought tooth and nail to have Stormy Daniels silenced and when Cohen flipped he suddenly decided to drop his attacks in the hope he did not end up in court and being deposed.

He is the man who admits he tried to derail an investigation into his own actions by firing the people in charge of it. And he keeps trying to do it!

He is a man who thinks it is okay that the Saudi Crown Prince was involved in the killing of a U.S. reporter because censuring him might cost us some jet sales and oh yeah they may not buy as many of his apartments as they currently are.

And He is the hand puppet of Fox News via Hannity and other vitriolic liars on that channel.

He admits he reads nothing, plays golf more than he attends meetings about the U.S., and has not read most bills or SIOPS that have crossed his desk.

The man repeats xenophobic statements and thinks white supremacists armed with AR-15's, clubs, and gas bombs, are on an equal footing with peaceful protestors.

The list I could type is seemingly endless and I never once have to exaggerate or lie, I can use trumps own words & actions to demonstrate his behaviors and intentions.

My question to you is did you serve in the Military so white, straight males were the only people who had rights? deserved respect? deserved an education? had to be christian? Remember Trump is a draft dodger who, along with his appointed cabinet members, believe all those things. So are the only Americans worthy of Constitutional Rights, those that fit the categories listed?

If not then you might reconsider your support of the man desperately trying to reshape the courts to strip Americans of their rights under our Constitution.

Since I am a Vietnam Era veteran, this does not affect me, unfortunately.  However, I agree with GeekySquid.  History will not be kind on Trump.  After Mueller, the Internal Revenue Service, and the courts finish with him. he and his family will be penniless.  This man, in my humble opinion, will be found to be a traitor that has colluded with Russian on so many different levels.  He will be forever known as Benedict Trump.  Initially, I thought he was concerned about the "Golden Showers" tapes being released by Russia.  Now I realize that it is all about money.  If anyone is familiar with the term "RICO", understands what is about to happen to Trump.  He will be impeached, convicted and hopefully sentenced to prison for the rest of his life.  I, for one, a lifelong Republican, hope that he is either hanged or spends the rest of his life in prison.