VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NBC GI Bill statement is wrong

Rate this question

Berta

Question

My neighbor just called me to tell me the President refused to sign the retro bill for the GI Bill problem.

I only get my news from FOX.Didnt hear anything like that.

Then I just got this email:

VA Benefits Chief: "Every Single Veteran Will Be Made Whole"

"Today, during a hearing beA Benefits Chief: "Every Single Veteran Will Be Made Whole"fore the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs, VA Under Secretary for Benefits Paul Lawrence delivered the following statement: Before I get into my opening statement on the subject of this morning's hearing, I want to address a misleading NBC news story from late yesterday that gives the false impression that some Veterans on the GI Bill will not be made whole with respect to their housing payments based on an announcement VA made yesterday. "

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5153

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Pedro L said:

Since I am a Vietnam Era veteran, this does not affect me, unfortunately.

since you are 140%, have you considered applying to voc rehab for training and or a degree?  being a 100% or even more is not an automatic disqualifier for training. I would not mention this but you said "unfortunately" as if you might like to go to school.

I don't  know what your disability ratings are for or if you are P&T or TDIU but since your profile says 140% it seems likely you are P&T Schedular, and what it is for is none of my business. Despite the recurring online argument about people with 100% ptsd and work, there is no law that says MH ratings bar a veteran from working.

In fact Congress allows 100% rated folks with physical problems to work, as well as combination physical and MH problems,  and the ADA would prevent broad-stroke discrimination against MH patients. Further if they intended for MH vets at 100% Schedular (versus tdiu) to NOT work they would pass such a law just like they did when they said TDIU folks only earn at the Fed Poverty Level.

17 minutes ago, Pedro L said:

History will not be kind on Trump

As for the rest of your post, and i do appreciate your point of view, I think history will not be kind to the U.S. because of this political era, whether it is 4 or 8 years in actual years, the long term negative effects will be generational.

Everyone has a right to their opinion and can express it. They don't however have a right to be protected from others responding to what they have said.

In terms of this thread, my only intention was to point out that News orgs report what is given to them and unless the Congressional Aides were trolling the reporters it is likely that NBC was told exactly what they reported. Now if that is from trolling or the Dept changing its mind once the story hit the news is beyond our knowing at this time.

This is not unique to trump, it has just gotten worse in his administration. The number of American claiming to only listen to one news source or another is on the rise and making that declaration is telling a lot about the individual. That person intentionally lives in an echo chamber made up people who are saying things they like to hear. This is not limited to any particularly party or political belief, but it is driven by serious narcissistic tendencies and belief that only they are right and if someone disagrees with them, that person is somehow defective or less than they are.

I find this sad and decidedly against the founding concept of this nation. It is certainly not what I fought for, spilled my blood, bone and piss in defense of, and hope for my grand kids to inherit.  As Americans we all deserve to be treated equally in the eyes of the law. We have not fulfilled that goal but must keep working towards it with all our might. Some of the current political groups are desperately fighting to drag us back into the old days they believe allowed them to discriminate and demean Americans who are not like them. This is anti-American in my view and I find it shameful when vets join groups with that mindset.

Unlike other individuals, I listen to all different points of views.  My wife hates that I do, but I do not agree with her.  One has to listen to both sides in order to make a fair assessment of the truth.  After I served over 8 years in the military, I NEVER felt I was treated different.  Getting back to the original point, Vietnam Era veterans should not be treated different than post 9-11 veterans.  We are.    

5 minutes ago, Pedro L said:

I listen to all different points of views.

i agree with you and i personally listen to the various news orgs on all sides of the issues. i don't have to agree with them, but I can at least try to understand their perspective and learn what they are saying on those issues.

6 minutes ago, Pedro L said:

Vietnam Era veterans should not be treated different than post 9-11 veterans.

again I agree with you, as an older veteran it is sometimes hurtful to see/hear all that is being given to the younger ones and feel ignored that we are not afforded the same things.

• Founder
Update: VA Benefits Chief: "Every Single Veteran Will Be Made Whole" November 29, 2018, 10:54:00 AM
"Each and every Veteran on the post-9/11 GI Bill will be made 100 percent whole -- retroactively if need be -- for their housing ... Read Full Press Release https://bit.ly/2DTmBtS

update-gi-bill-payments.png