VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pending decision approval

Rate this question

MsAsya

Question

17 minutes ago, MsAsya said:

Received an email regarding decision today from DAV,

yahoo! good for you... your income will soon be approx 3k a month if you don't have dependents.

They list the Dependents Educational Assistance which is not done until an actual decision is made.

do yourself a favor, log onto Ebenefits and go to the Letters section.

IN there you should see one that is for the Commissary. This letter ONLY gets printed if you are 100% (tdiu or schedular) and only appears if a decision has been made.

The rest of ebenefits might not update as fast as these two letters. The reason is that other areas deal with financial calculations. these letters are boilerplate and only draw from date and percent from the rating decision. In short they update quicker because there is less  info needed to generate them.

you will get both letters whether you have dependents or not.

While you are in the letters section click on each of the others and see if they generated. The top one should be your AB8 which will show your monthly amount  and other info and will have an effective date you can expect to be paid from. Remember we get paid AFTER the month, meaning the 1 Dec check is for Nov. etc etc etc.

The next letter down is your AB4, which is what you would give to anyone who needs to know you are a disabled vet but not why or how much you get in compensation. Think DMV, County Tax Assessor, etc.

some things to be aware of.

You should get back pay from the date of your claim, rounded to the end of the month (see above). This money is likely to appear in your account BEFORE you get your Big Brown Envelope.

You are also TDIU, which means that the only income you can earn is up to the Federal Poverty Level and you will likely have to fill out annual financial disclosures. There are a couple exceptions but talk to your dav or read the forums on TDIU

They will be checking Social Security Records to see if anyone is reporting income on you and how much.

congrats again!

Edited by GeekySquid

42 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

yahoo! good for you... your income will soon be approx 3k a month if you don't have dependents.

They list the Dependents Educational Assistance which is not done until an actual decision is made.

do yourself a favor, log onto Ebenefits and go to the Letters section.

IN there you should see one that is for the Commissary. This letter ONLY gets printed if you are 100% (tdiu or schedular) and only appears if a decision has been made.

The rest of ebenefits might not update as fast as these two letters. The reason is that other areas deal with financial calculations. these letters are boilerplate and only draw from date and percent from the rating decision. In short they update quicker because there is less  info needed to generate them.

you will get both letters whether you have dependents or not.

While you are in the letters section click on each of the others and see if they generated. The top one should be your AB8 which will show your monthly amount  and other info and will have an effective date you can expect to be paid from. Remember we get paid AFTER the month, meaning the 1 Dec check is for Nov. etc etc etc.

The next letter down is your AB4, which is what you would give to anyone who needs to know you are a disabled vet but not why or how much you get in compensation. Think DMV, County Tax Assessor, etc.

some things to be aware of.

You should get back pay from the date of your claim, rounded to the end of the month (see above). This money is likely to appear in your account BEFORE you get your Big Brown Envelope.

You are also TDIU, which means that the only income you can earn is up to the Federal Poverty Level and you will likely have to fill out annual financial disclosures. There are a couple exceptions but talk to your dav or read the forums on TDIU

They will be checking Social Security Records to see if anyone is reporting income on you and how much.

congrats again!

Thank you, you have been very helpful since I found this forum. I will log into ebenefits and see if anything has changed. Everything was still the same, that’s why I was concerned. 😫

i do have have 3 children and work for ford motor company, but have been out on medical leave for over a year. I do receive STD(short term disability) thru my employer, about 1900/mo gross, 1600 net. I don’t know if that will effect anything. But those benefits will end soon.

3 minutes ago, MsAsya said:

I do receive STD(short term disability)

your VA money will not be affected by this, but I don't know what Fords plan does in this scenario. Consider looking into any Long Term Disability they may have. Your rating is technically a temporary rating unless they granted P&T. ;:

If you file for SS disability it may or may not be affected by any STD or LTD payments you get. I just flat out don't know.

your commissary letter will read like this if you are permanent and total (P&T):

We are providing you with this letter so you may receive commissary store and exchange privileges from the Armed  Forces. This is to certify  YOUR NAME is an honorably discharged veteran of the BRANCH and is entitled to disability compensation at the 100 percent rate due to service-connected disability(ies).

This total disability is considered permanent. You are not scheduled for future examinations

TDIU commissary letters say TDIU I believe but if considered permanent you will have the bolded line. If not you will see an future exam date. This because this letter is used to get your base ID card and that card expires on the date of your NEXT C&P for these issues

BTW I sent you a private message. I didn't want to take over this thread.

Congrats and keep coming back to the forums. share your experiences, help future vets.

17 minutes ago, MsAsya said:

i do have have 3 children

This is the VA compensation table for 100% with dependents, you are looking at around $3400.00 a month being paid TDIU w/3 kids under 18.

70% - 100% With Children

Dependent Status 70% 80% 90% 100%
Veteran with Spouse and Child $1,609.71 $1,867.69 $2,098.62 $3,352.41
Veteran with Child Only $1,482.71 $1,722.69 $1,935.62 $3,171.12
Veteran with Spouse, One Parent and Child $1,704.71 $1,976.69 $2,221.62 $3,489.20
Veteran with Spouse, Two Parents and Child $1,799.71 $2,085.69 $2,344.62 $3,625.99
Veteran with One Parent and Child $1,577.71 $1,831.69 $2,058.62 $3,307.91
Veteran with Two Parents and Child $1,672.71 $1,940.69 $2,181.62 $3,444.70
Add for Each Additional Child Under Age 18 $59.00 $67.00 $76.00 $84.69
Each Additional Schoolchild Over Age 18 (see footnote a) $191.00 $218.00 $246.00 $273.58
Additional for A/A spouse (see footnote b) $109.00 $125.00 $141.00 $156.32

• HadIt.com Elder

VA disability and SSDI is two separate Administrations  one has nothing to do with the other  ...other than share medical information.

once a Veteran is service connected  his compensation is all tax free  no matter what other disability sources he has , unless he/she is retired military.  then they do make adjustments on his VA Compensation.

AND IU Vets are not suppose to be working and getting the IU comp at the same time. but they can still get SSDI OR SS Retirement  but the SS Retirement is subject to be taxed.as income if over $$ 12.000 yearly

Edited by Buck52