VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appointment canceled without notice?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Are they (VA OR VHA) Services suppose to notify us when they cancel an appointment?

My MH therapist usually cancel early the same day and the clinic calls me to let me know my appointment as been canceled and my therapist will rescheduled  ok that's fine

But I was just surfing myhealthvet notes last night and checked my Appointments to make sure all is on the up&up  and I have a Dental Appointment on the 12th Dec Its been set for about 60 days now...ok I just read on myhelthvet  for future Appointments  that  the 12 th of Dec Dental Appointment has been canceled???  I was not notified grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

no rescheduled note  no nothing.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, doctors get sick and call in sick just like the rest of us, so, yes, sometimes we dont find out about a cancellation until the last second.  

And, yes, they have personel problems, and scheduling conflicts.  Of course they are supposed to notify you, and they have done a good job wih me so far.  Dallas VA is probably ten times larger than my VA, or more, so its more difficult with more people.  

Your notice could have crossed and on its way to you, or it can be an oversight.  

My advice is to call the dental department ask them.  We all know VA does not always do what they are supposed to do and this is no exception.  To save yourself a trip call them. 

I get "texts" from VA informing or reminding me of an appointment.  I like that.  I respond somthing like "y23" to confirm, or N11 to cancel.  You may be able to opt into text notificications.  I think its a good idea for me.  

• 1 year later...

I have driven for an hour for VA appointments to find out it was rescheduled or canceled without any notice (even though it was canceled/rescheduled  10+ days prior). I received appointment texts to verify 2-4 days before appointments and I always respond and get the verification text. Not only do I not get into the set appointment, I cannot get mileage reimbursement for my travel! I know doctors scheduling are hectic and it’s not their job to notify patients. This is the schedulers and systems error and it needs to be fixed! My time is valuable, too, with a work schedule I have to adjust to accommodate doctors that are only available certain days of the week or month. It would be nice to know that an appointment I schedule 3 months in advance is being rescheduled on the day it’s being rescheduled, not on the appointment day! 

• HadIt.com Elder

Its always a good ideal to check your appointment status before you leave your home...and some times they don't help  if the cancled or your Dr calls in sick  the clinic clerks are suppose to call the veterans that have appointments scheduled  but that don't always happen

With this coronavirus pandemic in effect  missing an appointment will not be held agianst us Veterans   ...normally your Dr or therapist can use the virtual video conference appointment or the tele- phone conference  for your scheduled appointments....(due to the covid-19)