VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep apnea- does the DBQ cover the "medically necessary/required" language?

Rate this question

chibears3531

Question

Hey everybody! Long time lurker, first time poster.

My question is regarding the sleep apnea language that specifies that a prescription of a breathing assistance device is "medically necessary" for a 50% rating:

Assuming that a vet is already prescribed a CPAP/APAP by the VA, does the sleep apnea DBQ portion under 2B "IS CONTINUOUS MEDICATION REQUIRED FOR CONTROL OF A SLEEP DISORDER CONDITION?" fulfill that language requirement?

Edited by chibears3531

6 hours ago, doc25 said:

I have to correct myself. In a VA note dated 2-10-16, my pulmonologist documented:

SLEEP LAB REVIEW AND MANAGEMENT NOTE

Subjective: Sleep lab was available for review. Dr. jeffys supplied it.
I have reviewed this sleep study which was performed on 4/27/2009
It was performed at Zerenity Sleep Center, 
Necessity for a cpap was demonstrated. The study demonstrated that 
abnormal respiratory events were abolished by 8 cm h2O pressure.

Assessment: Sleep apnea severe enough to use CPAP

Interesting. Looks like I'll probably have to see if a private doc will write me the medical necessity letter.

• HadIt.com Elder

IT'S GETTING IT SERVICE CONNECTED IS THE HARD PART  ONCE THATS DONE   THEN IT'S JUST A MATTER OF ASKING THE DR THAT PRESCRIBE THE C-PAP IF HE/SHE WOULD WRITE YOU UP A SHORT LETTER,

If you were prescribe a C-PAP I WOULD THINK THE DR THAT PRESCRIBE IT WOULD SAY ITS MEDICALLY NECESSARY TO USE WHILE SLEEPING.

OTHER WISE WHY DID HE/SHE PRESCRIBE IT.?.

.THEY USAULLY WILL WRITE YOU UP A LETTER  IF YOUR OPEN AND HONEST WITH THEM  ,& LET THEM KNOW YOUR GOING TO FILE A CLAIM FOR YOUR SLEEP APNEA. 

you might go back an recheck your medical records/notes , this maybe in them already? that the c-pap is medically necessary to use for your health. if it just happens to be, then copy it and hi-lite that part with a hi-liter  and send in as part of your evidence.

Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Buck52

On 12/6/2018 at 10:18 PM, chibears3531 said:

The problem with journals is that they cover the problem generally, as related to the study participants. They won't aid a presumption of service connection or secondary service connection for 'you'. They help in getting you to a place where you can say "hey, this is whats happening to me, too...." but you still have to have a doctor or the C&P doc opine that YOUR SA is service connected or secondary connected to medicines or PTSD or whatever . 

5 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

The problem with journals is that they cover the problem generally, as related to the study participants. They won't aid a presumption of service connection or secondary service connection for 'you'. They help in getting you to a place where you can say "hey, this is whats happening to me, too...." but you still have to have a doctor or the C&P doc opine that YOUR SA is service connected or secondary connected to medicines or PTSD or whatever . 

If a doctor has written a medical opinion already, are journal articles even helpful to include in the claim? I was under the impression that I was supposed to include journal articles in the claim that support the independent medical opinion.

Unless those journals are about you they aren't useful at all. The claim is based on your service and records, so sending a bunch of links to the examiner just adds more stuff for them to go through. The doctors making an opinion about you is what you want. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

5 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Unless those journals are about you they aren't useful at all. The claim is based on your service and records, so sending a bunch of links to the examiner just adds more stuff for them to go through. The doctors making an opinion about you is what you want. 

But what if I'm claiming a secondary condition, the IMO states a causal link between the two conditions, AND the journal articles I've dug up found a causal link between the two conditions thus supporting the theory in the IMO?