VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Memory Loss PTSD

Rate this question

JonathanAD

Question

I am currently rated at 30% for PTSD.  I filed a secondary claim for memory loss, because the medications I am on for PTSD cause me a lot of memory problems.  I had a C&P that I wanted to upload with this, but When I try to attach it says "You do not have any existing attachments.".  

Anyway, the claim status on ebenefits is currently "Pending Decision Approval", and I filed on 11/1/2018.  I do not see a change in the VA Letters, or the Disabilities page.  Has anyone else filed for memory loss secondary to PTSD, and I was wondering if someone could kinda guess what percentage they think I will get if any.  I know that's hard to do without a copy of the C&P, so if someone can please tell me how to upload the PDF, that'd be awesome.

Edit:  I figured out how to convert the scanned PDF to where I could copy/paste the text.  The formatting isn't all the same, but here it is:

291 2018

LOCAL TITLE:      EXAM

STANDARD TITLE: C & P EXAMINATION NOTE

DATE OF NOTE: NOV 26,  ENTRY DATE: NOV 26, AUTHOR: SIMONEAUX, BYRON J EXP COSIGNER:

URGENCY :                           STATUS : COMPLETED

Review Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Disability Benefits Questionnaire

Name of patient/ Veteran:   Jonathan Durey

Is this DBQ being completed in conjunction with a VA 21-2507, C&P Examination Request ?

Yes  [ ) No

SECTION 1:

1. Diagnostic Summary

Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with PTSD?

[X] Yes [ ) No

ICD Code: F43.1

2 . Current Diagnoses

a.  Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: PTSD ICD Code: F43.1

b.  Medical diagnoses relevant to the understanding or management       the

Mental Health Disorder (to include TBI) : No response provided.

3 . Differentiation of symptoms

a.  Does the Veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed? No response provided.

b.  Is it possible to differentiate what symptom (s) is/ are attributable to each diagnosis?

t Yes    [ No [X) Not applicable (N/A)

c.  Does the Veteran have a diagnosed traumatic brain injury (TBI) ?

) Yes t ) No (X) Not shown in records reviewed

4 . Occupational and social impairment

a . Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only

PATIENT NAME AND ADDRESS (Mechanical Imprinting, If available)

DUREY, JONATHAN ADAM

VISTA Electronic Medical Documentation

Printed at CENTRAL ARKANSAS HCS

Page 1

29, 2018

b.

c.

1                       .

[X)

2                       .a.

b.

one)

[X) Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by medication

For the indicated occupational and social impairment, is it possible to differentiate which impairment is caused by each mental disorder?

] Yes { ) No [X) Not Applicable (N/A)

If a diagnosis of TBI exists, is it possible to differentiate which occupational and social impairment indicated above is caused by the TBI? [ ] Yes [ ) No [X) Not Applicable (N/A)

SECTION 11:

Clinical Findings :

Evidence Review

Evidence reviewed (check all that apply) :

VA e-folder

CPRS

Recent History (since prior exam)

Relevant social/marital/family history:

The Veteran lives in Conway, AR with his wife of approximately 4 years and his two sons (ages 1 and 5) . This is his first marriage. The Veteran is originally from Warren, AR. His family still lives in Arkansas. He and his wife get along well. They enjoy spending time in their yard, taking pictures, shopping, travel ling. His five year old son has an autism spectrum disorder. He said that his family has had trouble adjusting. Mr. Durey enjoys playing guitar, but reported that he does not play frequently due to time limitations. He enjoys woodworking, but reported that he has not been able to do so due to lack of time. He rarely keeps in touch with his family members. He said that his parents and his wife do not get along well. They have problems with acceptance of his son. He denied any contacts with friends. He denied any partcipation in group—activities. The Veteran reported that he and his wife have been frustrated with his inability to remember conversations or tasks at home. He has to be reminded multiple times to remember things at the store.

Relevant occupational and educational history:

The Veteran works at Data Path. He and his wife both work there. He said that he has been working there for approximately 7—8 months. He

PATIENT NAME AND ADDRESS (Mechanical Imprinting, If available)

DUREY, JONATHAN ADAM

Printed at CENTRAL ARKANSAS BCS

Page 2

29. 2018

said that he has noticed problems with staying on task, doign projects at work. He said that this has happened multiple times. He has noticed more problems with memory since starting psychotropic medications

c.        Relevant mental health history, to include prescribed medications and family mental health:

Mr. Durey reported that he sleeps approximately 4-5 hours of sleep per night. He wakes up frequently during the night. He has dreams occasionally and wakes up for no reason. When he wakes up, he notices persistent worries. He denied daytime napping. He gets drowsy at work and while driving, but denied sleeping at the wheel.

Appetite seems to be increased. His weight has increased approximately 10 pounds in the last six months .

The Veteran denied plans to harm himself or others .

d.       Relevant legal and behavioral history:

None

e.       Relevant substance abuse history:

The Veteran drinks approximately 4 beers per day. He denied using any illicit drugs. He denied any history of DUI.

f.         Other, if any:

No response provided.

3 . PTSD Diagnostic Criteria

Please check criteria used for establishing the current PTSD diagnosis. The diagnostic criteria for PTSD, are from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th edition (DSM—5) . The stressful •event can be due to combat, personal trauma, other life threatening situations (non—combat related stressors) . Do NOT mark symptoms below that are clearly not attributable to the Criterion A stressor/ PTSD. Instead, overlapping symptoms clearly attributable to other things should be noted under #6 "Other symptoms .

Criterion A: Exposure to actual or threatened a) death, b) serious injury,

c) sexual violence, in one or more of the following ways :

[X) Directly experiencing the traumatic event (s)

Criterion B: Presence of (one or more) of the following intrusion symptoms associated with the traumatic event beginning after the traumatic event (s) occurred:

PATIENT NAME AND ADDRESS (Mechanical Imprinting, if available)

DUREY, JONATHAN

Page 3

29, 2018

[X] Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic event (s) .

[X] Recurrent distressing dreams in which the content and/or affect of the dream are related to the traumatic event (s) .

Criterion 😄 Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the traumatic event (s) , beginning after the traumatic events (s) occurred, as evidenced by one or both of the following:

(X) Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event (s) .

Criterion 😧 Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with the traumatic event beginning or worsening after the traumatic event (s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following:

[X) Markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities.

[X] Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others .

Criterion E: Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with the traumatic event (s) , beginning or worsening after the traumatic event (s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following:

Sleep disturbance (e.g., difficulty falling or staying asleep or restless sleep) .

Criterion F:

No response provided.

Criterion G:

The PTSD symptoms described above cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning .

Criterion H:

The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., medication, alcohol) or another medical condition.

4 . Symptoms

For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses:

[X] Depressed mood

[X) Anxiety

PATIENT NAME AND ADDRESS (Mechanical Imprinting, if available)

DUREY, JONATHAN ADAM

Page 4

29, 2018

[X] Chronic sleep impairment

[X) Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events

5.       Behavioral observations

No response provided.

6.       Other symptoms

Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to PTSD (and other mental disorders) that are not listed above? t Yes [X) No

7 Competency

Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs?

Yes t ) Nó

8. Remarks, (including any testing results) if any:

Based on the review of the record, and this interview, it is the opinion of this evaluator that symptoms meet the diagnostic criteria for PTSD which is, as likely as not a continuation of the service—connected condition.

/es/ BYRON J SIMONEAUX

PSYCHOLOGIST

Signed: 11/26/2018 10:58

Oh, I also followed up with this on the claim, since the evaluator did not mention my panic attacks.

In reference to the VA claim for the veteran Jonathan A. Durey (#########):

At the recent C&P examination on 11/26/2018, the evaluator did not ask about the veteran's panic attacks which occur at a frequency of at least once weekly, sometimes more.  I, Jonathan A. Durey, the veteran, would like to go on record that I do experience these panic attacks which were not addressed at the C&P exam.  

Edited by JonathanAD
Forgot to add some info.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

What medications are you taking that will cause memory loss?

you need to be careful they may assign you a Fiduciary .

But interesting to know what PTSD Medications will cause Memory loss  or Mixed medications.

Do you know the name of the medications?

Bupropion and duloxetine. The psychiatrist at the MHC told me that my memory issues are likely attributed to those and my ptsd. So at that point I decided to file a claim. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I took those and some others  my MH Psychiatrist took me off the deloxetine...cause I was taking some meds for prostate that counter the MH Drug, but I don't think I have memory problems  other than the old age kind.