VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does C&P evaluate past claims when submitting new claim?

Rate this question

TW8408

Question

Good afternoon,

I'm currently rated 30% for PTSD; got rated 2015.  

Was wondering if any of you ever been in my situation?  I'm in the works to submit a new claim for service connection for my right foot, right knee, right wrist.  I heard that re-evaluations are typically done at 5 years.  Will the VA re-evalluate my ptsd along with my new claims?

The C&P exam for my ptsd was very off putting; the guy seemed disinterested and treated me like i was i liar.  He questioned everything I said and over all a terrible experience.  Is this normal?  or is it only for ptsd?

Will the c&p exam be for all of my issues in one appointment or reviewed separately?

Thank

TW

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The VA is not a "unified body", so us saying "what VA will/or will not do" in any given situation is mostly a guess, because different VA employees will respond differently in a similar situation.  

This said:

1.  Did you apply for an increase in your PTSD?  If so, you could likely get another C and P exam for your increase.  

2.  However, if you DID NOT apply for a PTSD increase, then a C and P exam for PTSD is largely irrelevant.   There are circumstances, however, where VA could call you for a PTSD c and p exam.  For example, is your PTSD "permanent and total".  If its temporary, then you will likely be called for another exam.   However, lets say you were awarded a disability rating for PTSD, and then, like some Vets, you quit going for PTSD treatments.  This can trigger a re exam, if you are getting disability comp, but are not getting treatments, then this is kind of raising a red flag.  

You can call VA (C and P department) and find out if your exam is for PTSD, your right foot, etc. etc.  Yes, its possible that your reevaluation for PTSD and an exam for your foot come at similar times.   We really dont know, but you can call and find out, if its important to you.  

Make sure you understand this, tho:  If VA calls you for a C and P exam, and you fail to show, its pretty much automatic denial.  

8 minutes ago, broncovet said:

The VA is not a "unified body", so us saying "what VA will/or will not do" in any given situation is mostly a guess, because different VA employees will respond differently in a similar situation.  

This said:

1.  Did you apply for an increase in your PTSD?  If so, you could likely get another C and P exam for your increase.  

2.  However, if you DID NOT apply for a PTSD increase, then a C and P exam for PTSD is largely irrelevant.   There are circumstances, however, where VA could call you for a PTSD c and p exam.  For example, is your PTSD "permanent and total".  If its temporary, then you will likely be called for another exam.   However, lets say you were awarded a disability rating for PTSD, and then, like some Vets, you quit going for PTSD treatments.  This can trigger a re exam, if you are getting disability comp, but are not getting treatments, then this is kind of raising a red flag.  

You can call VA (C and P department) and find out if your exam is for PTSD, your right foot, etc. etc.  Yes, its possible that your reevaluation for PTSD and an exam for your foot come at similar times.   We really dont know, but you can call and find out, if its important to you.  

Make sure you understand this, tho:  If VA calls you for a C and P exam, and you fail to show, its pretty much automatic denial.  

thanks bronconvet,

i'm not asking for a c&p for ptsd, nor do i want an increase.  my ptsd isnt permanent and total, but since my initial c&p exam in 2015, the va has given me meds for mood and sleep, a cpap machine for sleep, and according to myhealthevet,the VA believes i'm an alcohollic.

You should be fine, but its perfectly legit for you to call and ask what the c and p exam is for, when you get called in for an exam.  Since you are apparently "in treatment" for PTSD, its probably unnecessary for you to go to another C and P exam, unless the VA feels your condition has improved (or, if it got worse, also!)  

I think its pretty awful if you go for a PTSD exam and they treated you bad. To be honest, I would go straight pissed off mode if I had a experience like that during my PTSD. Its bad enough when some people wait years to even go to and do this and I found it very unpleasant telling some stranger and bringing up moments that I haven't even told my mother/family yet tell another person.. PTSD exam was the worst to go over and its something I will never do again and I told that lady that this is a one time deal, i laid it all out, had a good cry, felt pissed off and that was that. I am thankful that the lady that did my exam was very compassionate and had me stop at points as she had enough for her report. I also don't see how it just gets better after 5 years. I think PTSD is something you live with forever, at least that is how i think about that.