VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Appeal granted but given two different ratings for one claim

Rate this question

Amazing Becky

Question

I was granted a DRO appeal on July 31, 2016. I have yet to receive an award letter as my claim is still in the notification process. I was able to get a va rep to mail me the narrative portion of the claim. I do not understand why I was rated 100% with the effective date of May 13, 2016 and then right beside it a 70% assigned rating dated November 16, 2016. According to the explanation I was found to be 100% due to the DBQ I submitted from my therapist. A 70% was then given after my C&P exam on November 16. Can anyone explain to me what the heck this means? I’m beyond confused right now.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

It sounds like they might have considered Individual Unemployability (IU) because your service connected disabilities prevent you from being able to work. If you have a 70% or higher rating and meet a couple of other criteria, they will bump you up to 100%. When you get your award letter in the mail, it will detail all of this.

If you are not considering going back to work, you might consider also filing for SSDI (different criteria) and/or exploring Vocational Rehab (for schooling or Independent Living Program depending on your situation). Also explore any state benefits you might be entitled to.

Keep in mind that it should not take two and a half years after the DRO visit for the VA to get back to you. I could understand it taking a few months, but not that long.

@Vync When I called Va a couple of weeks ago the rep told me that  was being considered for IU. But, I thought you had to apply for it in order to receive it and not automatically given. The rep told me this morning I am rated at 💯. According to her, my back pay requires another signature and this is the hold up with my notification letter being sent out.

You posted:

I was granted a DRO appeal on July 31, 2016. I have yet to receive an award letter as my claim is still in the notification process

This is the precise reason many Vets advocates:

1.  Dont recommend repeatedly checking ebenefits as its unreliable. 

2.  Dont put too much stock in VSO letters or other so called "notification letters" which are not the official VARO decision.  

I agree with them, and you simply need to wait on the official letter and disregard the rest.  

3 hours ago, Amazing Becky said:

@Vync I just realized the year for the DRO review is wrong it was granted July of this year.  Thank you for the good advice and I will look into state benefits here in Maryland.

Just wait for the decision letter. If the date is wrong there also.  File a NOD immeadiately. You can appeal the effective date. Have a VSO assist you or one of the other forum members that have more experience with appeals. Congrats on your granted decision.