VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating for scars due to total knee replacement

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

I'm going up to Eugene, Oregon  to be seen by a private Dr. for a C&P exam for my total left knee replacement Scar which is 15 inches long and 1/2 inch wide and there has been Constance pain on the scar itself since the surgery on june 4th 2018 I have been given Morphine to deal with the pain I'm on my third prescription since June 2018 from the scar, this is my second knee replacement on the same knee and this time I had 72 staples to close up the incision.  I have been reading on here that most of the exams people have been given a rating of 0% I hate to travel 200 miles for a 10 minute C&P exam for my post surgery scar and get a 0% rating. Plus I was sent a DBQ form to fill out myself and give it to the examiner, but the questions are written as if the Doctor was performing his view of the exam I find that odd, and they did tell me on the phone I'm to fill it out all the Doctor is going to do is evaluate my total knee replacement scars. The place the Veterans Choice contracted is called QTC Medical Services. I have been told NOT to bring any medical documentation, photographs or any medical reports, concerning my second total knee replacement surgery The Dr. has access to the VA files from what they told me over the phone.

Edited by Rhodesia

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 12/12/2018 at 4:16 AM, broncovet said:

It sounds like your TKR is service connected, so it boils down to symptoms, and how persistent you are at fighting VA for what you deserve.  

I had a TKR about six weeks ago, and, of course there is a long scar.  I do feel occassional pain, but the pain level is more of an "ache" (soreness) from the surgery, AND, of course, the pain from physical therapy.  

In order to increase the ROM, the physical therapist basically bends the knee where it does not want to be bent.  The PT pain, however, goes away fairly quickly and actually feels better a few hours after PT.  

There are 2 issues here:  Your health and compensation.  Take these IN THIS order, not the reverse, putting compensation above your health.  

It concerns me you are on morphine this long after surgery...I suspect there is something wrong somewhere.  

On Dec. 20, I will go for my 2 month post surgical xrays, where the surgeon checks to make sure the knee is place and working where it belongs and that nothing has gone wrong with my recovery.  I have a very reputable TKR VA surgeon, and this is my first TKR.  

It sounds like you have had some kind of a "revision" surgery which could be caused by 2 different things:

1.  You could have done things you should not have done, such as overstessing an artificial knee, by doing things like jumping on a trampoline or other knee stressing activities that injured your replaced knee.  An artifical knee is "not as good" as the one you were born with, and wont take the stresses your original knee would.  

2.  Either a defective knee device, or, some type of impropery surgery.  

If the knee revision was due to a defective knee or improper surgury, you may have an 1151 claim if both surgeries performed at VA.  Berta is very adamant that you can recieve benefits under 1151 IN ADDITION TO "regular" service connected injuries.  

If you had a good knee device, and good surgery, as long as you did "as directed", you should not be needing morphine from a June surgery, IMHO.   I think there is "something wrong" that you need morphine.  

I had TKR on Oct. 20, and my pain level ranges from 1 to about 5.  The 5 is usually during and the next couple hours after Physical Therapy.  Mostly, my pain level ranges 1 to 3 out of 10, with 10 being the worst.  As I type this, my pain level is "virtually zero".  That is, I have almost no pain at all except when exercising the knee especially when I do my own physical therapy, to increase the range of motion.  

Do you have knee swelling, and, if so, are you treating it with ice?  You should be if you have knee swelling.  

My exam was on the 11th of this month it took 45 minutes and I received my travel pay in a form of a check from QTC 3 days later that was fast and not from the VA I'm assuming they have a contract with the VA to pay out travel expenses. other than that I have not seen anything updated in ebenfits on my claim for my 2nd total knee replacement all the Dr, would tell me is that Yes I had a 2nd knee replacement, and the scars to go with it, he did measure the scars and my pain level from the scars and he did some measurements on how far I can bend my knee, he said he sends this up electronically to the VA they don't mail anything to them so it's a hurry up and wait. But on ebenifits it says that Documents are over due (Not From Me) must be from were I had the exam.

Edited by Rhodesia

Im still recovering from my TKR done on Oct. 20, but it sounds like I have a much better result than you have.  

It sounds like your fall caused the issues you have described.  Still, I wonder "why" you fell, that is, were you doing something you were not supposed to, or, was/is this some kind of an 1151 issue.  

There are, of course 2 possibilities:

1.  The knee device itself was defective.  I suggest you find out which one it is, and check to see if there are recalls on that knee device.  Its possible, or even likely, you are entitled to compensation from the knee device manufacturer.  We "automatically" assume that the VA/FDA/ manufacturers cooperate fully and report and remove any device with known defects.  No.  Sometimes these defective devices continue to be implanted for years or even decades before anyone does anything about it.  You may need an attorney, there. 

2.  The surgery itself was inadequate, or, the physical therapy, was inadequate, incomplete.  

At least a part of this could be   "on you".  That is, you really cant "blame the doc" if he tells you to go to physical therapy, and you dont, or you dont follow up and do the exercises recommended by the therapist.    Or, if the doc told you not to climb a ladder, and you do so anyways.  

This being said, if you followed medical advice, you may have an 1151 claim..its not really your job to determine if the problem was the device itself, or the surgery.  

Based on what you posted, visiting an attorney may be appropriate.  

On 12/19/2018 at 5:46 PM, broncovet said:

Im still recovering from my TKR done on Oct. 20, but it sounds like I have a much better result than you have.  

It sounds like your fall caused the issues you have described.  Still, I wonder "why" you fell, that is, were you doing something you were not supposed to, or, was/is this some kind of an 1151 issue.  

There are, of course 2 possibilities:

1.  The knee device itself was defective.  I suggest you find out which one it is, and check to see if there are recalls on that knee device.  Its possible, or even likely, you are entitled to compensation from the knee device manufacturer.  We "automatically" assume that the VA/FDA/ manufacturers cooperate fully and report and remove any device with known defects.  No.  Sometimes these defective devices continue to be implanted for years or even decades before anyone does anything about it.  You may need an attorney, there. 

2.  The surgery itself was inadequate, or, the physical therapy, was inadequate, incomplete.  

At least a part of this could be   "on you".  That is, you really cant "blame the doc" if he tells you to go to physical therapy, and you dont, or you dont follow up and do the exercises recommended by the therapist.    Or, if the doc told you not to climb a ladder, and you do so anyways.  

This being said, if you followed medical advice, you may have an 1151 claim..its not really your job to determine if the problem was the device itself, or the surgery.  

Based on what you posted, visiting an attorney may be appropriate.  

Well my claim just changed this morning even the wording to it so this it what it says now

Status of Your Claim

PREPARATION FOR DECISION

• Submitted: 11/15/2018 (Compensation)
  • Estimated Completion: 01/13/2019 - 02/08/2019
  • Disabilities Claimed: post operative surgical scarring due to service connected left knee surgery in June 2018 scar is 15 inches long and 1/ 2 inches wide (Increase), reconsider total left knee replacement (Revision) 100% temp total (Increase)
  • Representative for VA Claims: OREGON DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
  • Current Status: Preparation for Decision