VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heart disease and pyramiding

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

My results from my C&P posted today, so for my heart claims, here goes.

I am currently 0% for Hypertension and 30% for LVH by x-ray or Hypertensive heart disease.

I claimed an increase in Hypertension and a secondary claim for irregular heartbeats.

The examiner gave me a new diagnosis of Supraventricular arrhythmia and a new diagnosis of Other: Intermittent PVCs with yes marks in the DBQ for cardiac arrhythmia intermittent and more than 4 episodes in the past 12 months.  This meet the criteria for 30% under 7010.  And again for the PVC intermittent with more than 4 episodes in the past 12 months.  However, I am unable to find this in the rating schedule, but probable same as the first one.  These were both from my Holter recording from this last spring.  Also, "Trace" is checked under Peripheral edema, but again, hard to find where it applies in the rating schedule to HD.  Fatigue, Dizziness and (>5-7 METs) are also checked.

Under the Hypertension part of the DBQ, while they went through my old info, the did add my two readings prior to medication that met the requirement for a higher rating of 10% and the examiner did check the block for a history of a diastolic BP elevation predominately 100 or more.  So, that is more than I expected on that.

The last part of the DBQ the examiner states the irregular heartbeats at least a likely as not due to service connected condition.

So, with all that said, and with a glass half full, if they were to give me 30% for irregular heartbeats (Suprventricular arrhythmia) and a 10% increase for Hypertension, whats the most I can expect concerning pyramiding.

Hypertensive heart disease, LVH at 30%

Cardiac arrhythmia, irregular heartbeats at 30%

Hypertension at 10%

I'm thinking I stay at 30% or plus 10 and get to 40% related to my heart issues.

Thanks for any help,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Im not completely sure I understand your question, but here goes:

If I get what you are saying, I dont think high blood pressure and cardiac arrhythimia are pyramiding, even tho they often occur together.  Yes, the high blood pressure can/does cause problems, but they symptoms from each are different, so I dont think you need to worry about pyramiding.  

I think you are good to go for your increase, but, of course, Im not the decision maker and, as usual, you may have to fight VA for it.  

Remember, we dont get compensation for diagnosis, we get compensation for the symptoms those diagnosis cause.  Asymptomatic disorders, if service connected at all, are rated at a max of 0 percent.  No symptoms...no compensation.  

As long as you seperate overlapping symptoms, you should be ok.  With pyramiding, you get compensated for ONLY 1 set of symptoms.  

broncovet,

My question is/was about these two

I think I get the higher of the two, which would be 30%.

Thanks,

Hamslice

The 10% increase for HBP if I get it would be seperate.  I think..

21 hours ago, Hamslice said:

My results from my C&P posted today, so for my heart claims, here goes.

I am currently 0% for Hypertension and 30% for LVH by x-ray or Hypertensive heart disease.

I claimed an increase in Hypertension and a secondary claim for irregular heartbeats.

The examiner gave me a new diagnosis of Supraventricular arrhythmia and a new diagnosis of Other: Intermittent PVCs with yes marks in the DBQ for cardiac arrhythmia intermittent and more than 4 episodes in the past 12 months.  This meet the criteria for 30% under 7010.  And again for the PVC intermittent with more than 4 episodes in the past 12 months.  However, I am unable to find this in the rating schedule, but probable same as the first one.  These were both from my Holter recording from this last spring.  Also, "Trace" is checked under Peripheral edema, but again, hard to find where it applies in the rating schedule to HD.  Fatigue, Dizziness and (>5-7 METs) are also checked.

Under the Hypertension part of the DBQ, while they went through my old info, the did add my two readings prior to medication that met the requirement for a higher rating of 10% and the examiner did check the block for a history of a diastolic BP elevation predominately 100 or more.  So, that is more than I expected on that.

The last part of the DBQ the examiner states the irregular heartbeats at least a likely and not due to service connected condition.

So, with all that said, and with a glass half full, if they were to give me 30% for irregular heartbeats (Suprventricular arrhythmia) and a 10% increase for Hypertension, whats the most I can expect concerning pyramiding.

Hypertension at 10%

I'm thinking I stay at 30% or plus 10 and get to 40% related to my heart issues.

Thanks for any help,

Hamslice

Pyramiding is a no-no with va disability claims.

at least a likely and not due to service connected condition?

Please clarify. Did you mean, "at least as likely as not" due to service connected condition? Because if you did; you probably received a favorable nexus of opinion that will substantiate your claim for "Secondary-Service connection". If you meant, "less likely than not" due to service connected condition that'll be an unfavorable nexus of opinion.

On the issue of hypertension, if the increase is granted at 10%

You'll be rated like this:

30% hypertensive disease, LVH then an arrow below that:

30%Cardiac arrhythmia, irregular heartbeats

10% hypertension 

You'll be rated 56%, rounded up to 60%.

All indications point to a favorable decision, but you'll have to wait until you receive the decision letter.  Best wishes on your claim.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another secondary condition you might consider. SLEEP APNEA; as secondary to hypertensive heart disease. Do you have Sleep Apnea diagnosed with a documented "medically necessary" CPAP or other assistive breathing device. ("Medically Necessary" must be documented by the prescribing Dr. otherwise nowadays the VA will automatically deny the claim.) Sleep Apnea with a medically necessary CPAP is rated 50%

Look at this appealed Sleep Apnea claim, as secondary to hypertensive heart disease that was granted.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp15/Files4/1534763.txt 

If you do not have Sleep Apnea, but develop it later on, it could be linked to your heart disease.

Edited by doc25

One more time, without any clutter,

If I am already service connected at 30% for hypertensive heart disease LVH,

and,

I get a new rating of 30% for cardiac arrhythmia, irregular heartbeats, secondary,

will

I only get 30% because both the above are the same organ/disease, etc., pyramiding, etc...?

Thanks,

Hamslice

5 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

"as not".  I edited it.  I typed it too fast the yesterday.  Oops..

That's freakin' awesome! Like I said, all indications point to a favorable decision, just gotta wait on that decision letter for confirmation.Also, you might see your percentage increase in ebenefits before you receive your decision letter. 

Hopefully, you don't get low-balled by the ratings scheduler handling your claim and you get the 10% increase.