VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

AO Presumptives - lewy body & parkinson-type symptoms

Rate this question

alliem

Question

Hi, I'm just starting to research this because my dad has lewy body dementia, which has the same etiology as parkinson's. Lewy Body and Parkinson's are thought by some experts to actually be the same disease. Has there been any movement on the presumptive list to include parkinson-type diseases, or are any changes expected in the near future? Also, can a person apply for AO benefits without having a presumptive condition? I think i saw mention somewhere of a list of conditions that are considered strongly correlated but not presumptive - does that exist? And has anyone gone through the process of applying and doing the registry exam with Lewy Body or other parkinson-type conditions? 

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

". Has there been any movement on the presumptive list to include parkinson-type diseases, or are any changes expected in the near future? " No movement at all- I have asked vets here who fall into thye conditions they are considering, to write to the Secretary and tell them why their condition ( on the latest IOM NAM findings ) should be on the list-

I sent a very strong letter to former Secretary Shulkin as to why HBP and also ischemic stroke should be granted presumptive status.

As a medical doctor he knew exactly what I meant in the letter- any vet with AO IHD granted, could also have HBP and ischemia of brain as well due to the same etiology- AO.

I dont know if he even got that letter- his office called me about a different letter I had sent to him, before the gatekeepers ( in my opinion) doomed his future at VA,that was used in 2 ways for the Modernization Act.

But Shulkin got a rough deal and is gone and so far Secretary Wilkie has done nothing yet with the proposed possible presumptive list.

Maybe we should start writing to him about that.

"Also, can a person apply for AO benefits without having a presumptive condition? "

They would deny a claim like that.

However Nehmer Footnote One could kick in, once the disability got onto the AO presumptive list....If the veteran actually served in Vietnam.

I am a Nehmer AO IHD Footnote One widow.

Edited by Berta