VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA wanting veterans priv insurance info, is this SOP?

Rate this question

LSGi

Question

regarding veterans with 100+% SC disabilities, is it ok to give VA one's civilian medical insurance card information when they ask for it?  i don't know, which is why i ask. recently made use of the "choice program" for SC procedures/tests that that is covered along with no co-pay. and now i get phone calls from VA to home phone wanting my civilian insurance info. may be a nothing burger, but wanted to get advice/educated on this.

It is SOP nowadays.  Back in the old days, VA never asked an SC disabled vet for such info;  if you met the qualifications, VA covered all costs of your medical care, prescriptions, whatever (as long as treatment was by VA, that is, or approved for "Fee Basis" or something like that.

I went for a long time where I only used private medical care, since I had a "Cadillac" plan through my former employer.  When I started going back to VA for some treatments and other things, including prescriptions, starting in 2009, they began billing my Medicare and my secondary insurer for anything and everything.  Some change in the law over they years allows VA to bill insurers, even if you're 100%.  However, there has never been a deductible for anything I've received from VA.  The deal is, if your SC disabilities qualify you for free care, it will still cost YOU nothing.

I always thought it was immoral for the VA to bill medicare or my private insurance for ailments. They owe, they should pay. "Big Insurance" or not, the VA is good at passing the buck, and this is another prime example of them not taking responsibility for their promises.

Sgt. Wilky

• HadIt.com Elder

We have to report any health insurance we get to the VA and that includes medicare, They will bill them a part  but not all  I think VA foots most of the health bill but the others pay a part too. ..I don't know why.....I drop my supplemental I had after I got on medicare...I  may pick it back up if my health gets worse like Heart problems or any VA Specialty clinics   b/c I want private care for that.

I use my health insurance. I figured if I have employer health insurance, the least I could do, is use it so my insurance can pay some of the VA services. VA can take care of another veteran that is homeless and unemployed that doesn't have insurance.

But, that's just me. 

Edited by doc25

Yes, it is SOP.  But I tell the VA they darn better not try to charge my health insurance for any SC issue.  I use outside care most of the time because I have been burned by the VA in the past.

8 hours ago, acesup said:

It is SOP nowadays.  Back in the old days, VA never asked an SC disabled vet for such info;  if you met the qualifications, VA covered all costs of your medical care, prescriptions, whatever (as long as treatment was by VA, that is, or approved for "Fee Basis" or something like that.

I went for a long time where I only used private medical care, since I had a "Cadillac" plan through my former employer.  When I started going back to VA for some treatments and other things, including prescriptions, starting in 2009, they began billing my Medicare and my secondary insurer for anything and everything.  Some change in the law over they years allows VA to bill insurers, even if you're 100%.  However, there has never been a deductible for anything I've received from VA.  The deal is, if your SC disabilities qualify you for free care, it will still cost YOU nothing.

appreciate your reply & insights. i guess the feds somewhere in this equation pays the priv insurer.