VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pending Approval status, waiting to see effect of potential government shutdown on completion

Rate this question

GeekySquid

Question

So today my Vertigo claim status on Ebenefits moved to Pending Approval with an estimated completion range of Dec 28, 2018-Jan 8, 2019.

As always these statuses mean squat as they can change.

What I am monitoring will be the effects on the timeliness of our monthly checks and if the status extends past the dates listed.

The VA is funded but the Treasury isn't and it is the Treasury that processes our checks out through the ACH to our banks and also prints any physical checks.

In one of our past shutdowns I had a few days delay in a payment not related to the VA. The only department (involved in my payment) that was affected by that shutdown was the Treasury. They literally did not have enough people left to "push the button" on each of the transfer batches in their queues when the shutdown occurred. The money was pushed out about 3 days late if I remember correctly.

Based on what I know and feel about the existing vertigo claim and what is in my cfile for the last 5 years on the subject, i suspect I will either be flat out denied (and have to fight) or be rated as Meniere's disease and at a high percent.

Since I am already 100% on a single isssue, 60% or higher on Vertigo would/should move me to SMC S and if that happens the issue about the timing of our checks becomes more interesting.

Personally I won't suffer if our checks are delay a few months, but so many other veterans will be harmed that even contemplating a negative effect of a shutdown is just disgusting.

Once again "hurry up and wait" has affected my life and I can do nothing but find patience.

1 minute ago, brokensoldier244th said:

A short term spending bill was signed last night that should alleviate this.

right this minute the president is in a meeting with House republicans many of whom have publicly stated he should NOT sign the CR. that is why I am still curious. 

Trump stated last week he would be proud to shut down the government over his demand for a wall.

we will see what happens when this meeting is over.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think its going to happen  the controversy of president  to with draw the troops is his mark to congress either approve the wall or I will shut down the government and his troop with draw has congress biting their tongues.

some say its not a good deal right now and some say it is..we'll see who wins  I agree with the President  Get out troops back home where the belong.

I found this link about the government shutting down

It just don't mention veterans compensation likewise we still can get healthcare via VAMC.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/19/578985305/open-or-closed-heres-what-happens-in-a-partial-government-shutdown

18 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

don't think its going to happen

The meeting with Ryan is over and Ryan went on camera and stated Trump refuses to sign the CR and will shut down the government if Congress does not give him $5 Billion for his wall.

Think of the timing and factual logistics. It is, IMO, likely they will shut down. Senators have already voted and don't have the votes to approve the $5 B on a re-vote. Some have already left D.C.

In the house, 30-35 R Reps have said they won't vote for any bill without trump explicitly saying he will sign it, and even though they have the majority right now, many R's don't want the wall. Only the Freedom Caucus is pushing this.

right this minute several republican senators and representatives are on TV stating flat out there will be no wall funding.

As for the troops in Syria, while I would like all our troops in the Middle East and those conflicts to come home, pulling troops and support for the Kurds out of Syria will guarantee our allies, the Kurds, will be attacked by the Syrian Despot that runs that country.

Putin went on TV and cheered "donald" (his words) for doing the right thing which cedes all control of the Region to Putin and Iraq who both want to control the region and destroy the Kurds. Our allies, France, Germany, Britain and Australia are appalled by this move and will continue to question their arrangements with the U.S. when we are proving that we will abandon our allies against ISIS.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Non-political post

It is not a full or total government shutdown. A very large chunk of the government was funded through next year when the recent budget was passed. The impact on the VA would be minimal.

Below are some related news articles:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/what-happens-during-a-government-shutdown-7-things-you-should-know

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/a-guide-to-a-potential-partial-federal-government-shutdown

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/heres-what-shuts-down-in-a-government-shutdown

https://www.winknews.com/2018/12/11/what-to-know-about-a-government-shutdown

15 minutes ago, Vync said:

The impact on the VA would be minimal.

as I said in the original post, it is the Treasury that I am concerned about. They are not funded. Treasury is the agency between the VA and our banks. If they got to skeleton crew, or less, there are not enough people (from past shutdown experience) to authorize the transmission of batched checks and electronic payments.

The impact TO VA is minimal, the potential impact TO VETS is considerable if they absolutely need their checks by the 1st of the month.