VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pending Approval status, waiting to see effect of potential government shutdown on completion

Rate this question

GeekySquid

Question

So today my Vertigo claim status on Ebenefits moved to Pending Approval with an estimated completion range of Dec 28, 2018-Jan 8, 2019.

As always these statuses mean squat as they can change.

What I am monitoring will be the effects on the timeliness of our monthly checks and if the status extends past the dates listed.

The VA is funded but the Treasury isn't and it is the Treasury that processes our checks out through the ACH to our banks and also prints any physical checks.

In one of our past shutdowns I had a few days delay in a payment not related to the VA. The only department (involved in my payment) that was affected by that shutdown was the Treasury. They literally did not have enough people left to "push the button" on each of the transfer batches in their queues when the shutdown occurred. The money was pushed out about 3 days late if I remember correctly.

Based on what I know and feel about the existing vertigo claim and what is in my cfile for the last 5 years on the subject, i suspect I will either be flat out denied (and have to fight) or be rated as Meniere's disease and at a high percent.

Since I am already 100% on a single isssue, 60% or higher on Vertigo would/should move me to SMC S and if that happens the issue about the timing of our checks becomes more interesting.

Personally I won't suffer if our checks are delay a few months, but so many other veterans will be harmed that even contemplating a negative effect of a shutdown is just disgusting.

Once again "hurry up and wait" has affected my life and I can do nothing but find patience.

4 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

government is dysfunctional at best. 

it has its moments that is true, the current politics and legislators who have been in charge for the last 10 years have made it more so to meet their political agendas for a very small slice of Americans.

5 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

SSI, SSDI and VA are all fully funded, guaranteed. 

They are at this time. My point in all of this is that Treasury is NOT guaranteed and experience from previous shutdown is that many people don't get their money on time to meet their obligations. Hopefully not to many this time, but we won't know until it is over.

7 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

6% of the budget they are fighting over

again not sure where you got your numbers. Mandatory spending for this year is 64% of the budget, that includes SS. Veterans Benefits and the Military are in the Discretionary spending category as are Treasury and DHS.

VA has been funded Treasury has not been funded. Whatever part of that you don't see as a problem I cannot make it any clearer for you.

9 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

If you are a federal employee and can not go a week or two without a paycheck, well, then we have a bigger problem, don't we.  We are not talking about the guy or gal working at the local quickmark.

The median income across all Federal workers is just at the nation median income, approximately $36K. You seem to forget we have more Federal Janitors than we have Congressmen. Heck, the raters who decide our claims are only GS12's at the highest. go look up their income.

So while yes that is a 'bigger problem" it is not the one you are trying to imply. It is that they don't get paid a lot and missing a check can mean the difference between feeding their kids or paying the rent.

12 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

Quite the opposite, I'm serious,

I believe you are serious but my impression stands. You are demonstrating, by your words, a complete indifference to Americans and Veterans who may not be as financially fortunate as you are.

You can say and believe what you want, but when you show such contempt for those who are less fortunate than you are, you are broadcasting the worst possible you to the world.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms berta put this link up she got 

As the VA Secretary Robert Wilkie mention this

''WASHINGTON – In light of the possibility of a partial federal government shutdown, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Secretary Robert Wilkie released the following statement:''

“Thanks to the leadership of President Trump and Congress, VA is fully funded for fiscal year 2019, and in the event of a partial government shutdown, all VA operations will continue unimpeded.'' 

“We thank the president and Congress for their commitment to our nation’s heroes in funding VA, and stand ready to provide all of the VA benefits and services our Veterans have earned.”

source:https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5170

so we veterans that are getting compensation payments should be ok for a year at the least.

If they shut down for a long period of time and stop benefit payments to Veterans , We all will just have to make do the best we can.

we are prepared to go into our savings ..probably 6 months or so  and when they open back up we all should get Back pay and we can re=fill our savings.  if not then were out.

Our  Monthly mortgage payment is 1500.00 month  that's without paying property tax. and PMI

I personally think the President will get his way and the bill will be passed  they refuse to use the Nuclear votes ? but the Vice President did cast his vote in favor of the Wall he was the last resort so-to -speak...but its still undecided.

President Trump  is stubborn about this wall because it was his campaign promise to America. Congress had 2 full years to address this issue with the president but failed to do so. (until now)

However ,so for there still holding out  we'll know after midnight tonight.

what worries me is  what gov -programs  are they going to cut to help raise this wall $$$?

cutting IU veterans would hurt many many veterans. or if they cut a long time va program that is used by many many veterans would hurt also.

Edited by Buck52

2 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

However ,so for there still holding out  we'll know after midnight tonight.

they have already adjourned for the evening. The government shuts down at midnight

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/us/politics/trump-shutdown-border-wall.html

Trump may be stubborn, but Pelosi is the more experienced operator and Schumer has flat stated on the floor tonight that he will not get the wall this today, next week or on Jan 3rd when the D's take over the House.

Trump has already tried to waffle on his claim that he would own the shutdown. He got goaded by Fox News Hosts and now is backed into a corner and owns the shutdown.

7 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

we are prepared to go into our savings

it is wonderful for those of us with savings to last 6 months to be able to say that, but what of the veterans, active duty military and their families, and all the other government employees who don't have that option. He thinks it is okay to harm them to satisfy a campaign promise to what amounts to less than 30% of the U.S. population or 40% of people who voted. He lost the popular vote because dems did their usual and gave away the election. snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory as it were.

D's have no reason to negotiate or give him anything, particularly with all the problems he uses DHS to cause. in fact SCOTUS just smacked down his policy of NOT letting people apply for asylum who did not enter at an official port. They will also smack down his falsely claimed agreement with Mexico to "house" those seeking asylum until their turn (Mexico said flat out, he did not ask us, he just said he was not letting them apply so we best figure out what to do with them until he does let them apply for asylum).

DHS is the department running all of that, and they are the ones who will not get paid....let's see how long border patrol works for free. let's see how long the contractor who owns the kiddie prison Trump created will go without his Billion a month in government payments.

He is looking for a way out and to try and save face. He changed saying "wall" to "steel slats" in an attempt to rebrand his boondoggle campaign promise.

I am gonna bet Trump will crumble sometime in the next 14 days and still try and lie about that too!

Border Patrol will get paid.  They will get their pay on the first, and then on the 15th when the shutdown is over.

NON essential workers are the only ones that would not be paid if there is a "partial shutdown".  I say if, because they are working tomorrow on Saturday.

"the sky is falling"

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can