VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pending Approval status, waiting to see effect of potential government shutdown on completion

Rate this question

GeekySquid

Question

So today my Vertigo claim status on Ebenefits moved to Pending Approval with an estimated completion range of Dec 28, 2018-Jan 8, 2019.

As always these statuses mean squat as they can change.

What I am monitoring will be the effects on the timeliness of our monthly checks and if the status extends past the dates listed.

The VA is funded but the Treasury isn't and it is the Treasury that processes our checks out through the ACH to our banks and also prints any physical checks.

In one of our past shutdowns I had a few days delay in a payment not related to the VA. The only department (involved in my payment) that was affected by that shutdown was the Treasury. They literally did not have enough people left to "push the button" on each of the transfer batches in their queues when the shutdown occurred. The money was pushed out about 3 days late if I remember correctly.

Based on what I know and feel about the existing vertigo claim and what is in my cfile for the last 5 years on the subject, i suspect I will either be flat out denied (and have to fight) or be rated as Meniere's disease and at a high percent.

Since I am already 100% on a single isssue, 60% or higher on Vertigo would/should move me to SMC S and if that happens the issue about the timing of our checks becomes more interesting.

Personally I won't suffer if our checks are delay a few months, but so many other veterans will be harmed that even contemplating a negative effect of a shutdown is just disgusting.

Once again "hurry up and wait" has affected my life and I can do nothing but find patience.

Secretary Wilkie: VA not affected in the event of partial government shutdown

WASHINGTON – In light of the possibility of a partial federal government shutdown, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Secretary Robert Wilkie released the following statement:

“Thanks to the leadership of President Trump and Congress, VA is fully funded for fiscal year 2019, and in the event of a partial government shutdown, all VA operations will continue unimpeded. 

“We thank the president and Congress for their commitment to our nation’s heroes in funding VA, and stand ready to provide all of the VA benefits and services our Veterans have earned.”

source:https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5170

6 minutes ago, Berta said:

VA is fully funded for fiscal year 2019

VA.gov has that as a banner notice before login. It still does not address any impact Treasury not being funded will have on processing checks out to all recipients, including our compensation and pension checks.

I hope there is no delay, but past experience has shown that during shutdowns checks can be delayed for some people, including veterans. I hope that does not happen this time.

On an additional note, The claim I was monitoring when I posted the Original thread went from pending approval to preparation for notification in the last 2 hours.

The new estimated completion date is 1 Jan 2019 which would be 19 years to the day that I first discovered I had cancer and my life went sideways once again. I will see if this New Years brings good news to put a period of a long stretch of bad years and start a new chain of good years.

Of course I have to wait, and I don't do that well so I will be antsy all during the holidays. Oh Well.

The federal budget.

75% is guaranteed to be paid by law.  75% of the remaining 25% is guaranteed to be paid by law.  So, that leaves 6.25 % of the federal budget is what is being discussed currently.

So, let's not make a big deal about this.

Holiday travelers will not be affected.

And yes, you can give me 1, 2, 3 or 4 weeks off and pay me later if you don't mess with my Holidays or Vacation time.  Which is what happens to federal workers.  As a last resort, I would use a credit card for a week or two.  But yes, I would take the time.  Spend it with my family, especially around the Holidays.  

Just sayin, much noise about nothing,

Hamslice

2 hours ago, Hamslice said:

75% is guaranteed to be paid by law.  75% of the remaining 25% is guaranteed to be paid by law.  So, that leaves 6.25 %

not sure the source of your information but would love to read it.

So, let's not make a big deal about this.

people working for free and those affected by your 6.25% might not agree with your cavalier attitude over this. They want to eat and pay bills so to them it is a big deal and since Treasury is not funded there is potential delay for some or even many veterans and people on SS.

you can give me 1, 2, 3 or 4 weeks off and pay me later if you don't mess with my Holidays or Vacation time.

how quaint that you feel that way and you apparently believe that if those negatively affected by not getting paid don't feel that way they should just suck it up.

would use a credit card for a week or two

glad you are so fortunate to have available credit lines to do that, approximately 50 million people in the U.S. are unbankable. Across all American households the average household savings in $1000.00 and has held steady there for the last decade. The typical American working class family has $16,000.00 in credit card / credit line debt.

Look up that states on census website, DOL website, and Fed Reserve website, if you don't believe it.

The harsh reality is your words tell a tale of you only caring about you and screw the rest of the American Population, including elderly people and veterans. That is just sad.

Quite the opposite, I'm serious, the government is dysfunctional at best.  Remember, the only responsibility of the federal government is for defence of the country, not SSI, SSDI, etc.  Heck, the SSI's first check was not written until 1940.  With that said....  

SSI, SSDI and VA are all fully funded, guaranteed.  They passed that law a couple years ago, when they tried these shenanigans before.

Let's scare people, "the sky is falling". 

And yes, it's a little over 6% of the budget they are fighting over.

It's all good, just wait and see,

Seen this movie before,

Hamslice

If you are a federal employee and can not go a week or two without a paycheck, well, then we have a bigger problem, don't we.  We are not talking about the guy or gal working at the local quickmark.  Remember they also fixed it so mass transit will operate during a shutdown.  So, basically, the DC zoo will be shut out to visitors.  That's the fight we must have!

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can