• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
BrentMc

Ebenefits shows overall increase but no individual disability change...?

Question

I have several appeals in process and also reapplied for several previously disapproved disabilities.

Three things just happened on ebenefits:

1.  My Open Claim now reflects :"decision notification sent"

2. As of today, 5 of the appealed disabilities that were previously "not service connected" are shown as "deferred". (I had C&P exams for all of these two months ago).

3.  My overall rating went from 40% to 50% but with no change to the original two disability ratings (apparently now 20% plus 30% actually equals 50%?)

Any wisdom as to why this would  happen?

And the the next question.  

I am a 20-year retiree. As 40% disabled, I was obviously not getting concurrent receipt.  Will this increase to 50% result in any retro pay back to the original award date?

Thank you.

3 answers to this question

Yes, but make sure and check the actual award date of the newest award. I got retro, from DFAS, but they took 20% out for taxes. Got most of this back when I filed my taxes. I did not have to do anything to get the retro from DFAS. Remember, this is different than retro from VA.

Vern2

• Like 1

It has been a few days since your original post. It might be a good idea to check ebenefits to see which individual disabilities and percentages now show. You should get a letter in the mail very soon with details of what changed.

Also, it is common for the VA to award/deny some claims while deferring others. They are just taking care of what they can without making you wait until they are all completed processing.

Many of us are not excited to answer "what happens when ebenefits says  _______" because ebenefits is notoriously unreliable.  Ebenefits can tell you the moon is made of green cheese, and it has about as much weight  as a 
"scientific study" which confirms the moon is made of green cheese.