VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ebenefits shows overall increase but no individual disability change...?

Rate this question

BrentMc

Question

I have several appeals in process and also reapplied for several previously disapproved disabilities.

Three things just happened on ebenefits:

1.  My Open Claim now reflects :"decision notification sent"

2. As of today, 5 of the appealed disabilities that were previously "not service connected" are shown as "deferred". (I had C&P exams for all of these two months ago).

3.  My overall rating went from 40% to 50% but with no change to the original two disability ratings (apparently now 20% plus 30% actually equals 50%?)

Any wisdom as to why this would  happen?

And the the next question.  

I am a 20-year retiree. As 40% disabled, I was obviously not getting concurrent receipt.  Will this increase to 50% result in any retro pay back to the original award date?

Thank you.

3 answers to this question

Yes, but make sure and check the actual award date of the newest award. I got retro, from DFAS, but they took 20% out for taxes. Got most of this back when I filed my taxes. I did not have to do anything to get the retro from DFAS. Remember, this is different than retro from VA.

Vern2

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It has been a few days since your original post. It might be a good idea to check ebenefits to see which individual disabilities and percentages now show. You should get a letter in the mail very soon with details of what changed.

Also, it is common for the VA to award/deny some claims while deferring others. They are just taking care of what they can without making you wait until they are all completed processing.

Many of us are not excited to answer "what happens when ebenefits says  _______" because ebenefits is notoriously unreliable.  Ebenefits can tell you the moon is made of green cheese, and it has about as much weight  as a 
"scientific study" which confirms the moon is made of green cheese.