VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Monthly Compensation

Rate this question

David Watson

Question

I have a disability claim pending decision approval. I've received a unofficial notification from the DAV that the VA is looking to take the following action(s):

1. Evaluation of primary iron deficiency anemia, which is currently 0 percent disabling, is increased to 100 percent effective 9/13/17. The schedule for rating disability has changed for this condition. An evaluation of 30 percent assigned effective 12/9/18, the date of the law change.

2. Entitlement to special monthly compensation based on housebound criteria being met is granted from 9/13/17 to 1/1/19.

I'm currently at 80 percent:

60 percent for gastroesophageal reflux disease and peptic ulcer disease

30 percent for migraine and tension headaches

20 percent for hypertension

I was wondering do I qualify for SMC-S (Homebound).

Edited by David Watson
I wasn't specific enough.

Sounds like a finite grant of SMC S for housebound for a short period of time. Note the beginning and ending dates.

"1. Evaluation of primary iron deficiency anemia, which is currently 0 percent disabling, is increased to 100 percent effective 9/13/17. The schedule for rating disability has changed for this condition. An evaluation of 30 percent assigned effective 12/9/18, the date of the law change.

2. Entitlement to special monthly compensation based on housebound criteria being met is granted from 9/13/17 to 1/1/19.

VA always writes in clear English and I would say they have here. He's been given 100% schedular rating for Anemia from 9/13/17 to 12/9/2018 and then it is reduced to 30%. On 1/1/2019, his SMC will end and he will revert back to 60+30+30+20= 90%. About that time, someone over at DAV ought to be discussing TDIU with VA. 

what feedback are you looking for? If you are being considered for housebound then you have to have a 100% single rating, so I sounds like they bumped something up. (re-reading now, I see that). Congratulations to being added to the club where no one wants to be a member LOL.