VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NOD Still Processing after 5 years?!

Rate this question

lawrencebe

Question

Posted in a different forum but I’ll bring this here as it’s more appropriate. 

Back in August of 2013 my VSO sent in a NOD (which was within a year of my denial which I received in February 2013). This NOD was done because I was unable to get the VA to reschedule my C&P Exams in 2012 after requesting several times and subsequently all my claims were deemed “Not Service Connected. Not Enough Evidence”. After 4+ years with no word from the VA I went back to my VSO in April 2018 and he refiled a NOD, with the original one attached, and I received a denial in May 2018 saying my NOD was outside of the year time frame.

My VSO also refiled for a new claim at the same time as the 2nd NOD in April 2018 because he was unable to see in VBMS anything regarding my an NOD, if an SOC was sent, or any DRO status. My original claim at the time was closed and nothing else seemed as if there could be done.

The new claim was accepted in April 2018, I sent in my packet in October 2018, and I began going to all my QTC appointments with my last being in the beginning of December. All seemed well but my new claim is gone and after speaking to the VA over the phone it now seems as if my new claim was denied due to my original September 2012 claim still in the appeal process from August 2013.

A letter from the VA which will be sent tomorrow Jan 2, 2019 is stating in summary that I cannot refile a new claim with the same items that are still being appealed which is blowing my mind.

So at this point I’m trying to see if I (my VSO) should send in another NOD, send in an I9 or do something else to figure out what is going on. 4+ years of not knowing what is going on is enough and somehow I need to fight I just don’t know where to begin. 

Thanks for all the help and advice in advance!

Edited by lawrencebe

We cannot tell you hold long it takes as it goes into the hopper and is decided on by the next rater that has an opening.  It is no longer handled exclusively by your RO.  I wish I could give you a timeframe but I cannot.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vetquest is of course right; no way of knowing how long this can take. Maybe I missed something here but you are talking about back pay. Have you seen a copy of the C&P and was it favorable? You still have to be rated after that and sometimes, as you know, the VA doesn't act or do what it should. And then you have the additional hurdle of EED; be prepared to have to appeal what they give you for the effective date. Basically, I am saying don't get overly optimistic; wait to see what your decision letter says.