VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Scheduler rating smc-s

Rate this question

Pitman87

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Normally I'd say no since you are schedular but it came to.my attention in another post that some veterans had an SMC based on a less than 100 percent rating so, the 100 percent schedular means you can work if you can but if the SMC is based on a lesser rating you might lose that part. I'll let others weigh in on that aspect. 

It appears that your SMC (s) is based on having 100% plus another 60%, and even though they call it "Housebound", it would not prevent you from working.

However, what Hamslice said!  I agree 100%.

The main part of the criteria for a 100% Mental Health rating seems to be "total occupational and social impairment due to symptoms...".  I've seen arguments about it on this and other sites, but what one of us thinks (or doesn't) isn't what matters, it's what the VA thinks that counts.   I'll just say that if I personally was rated based on that statement about total occupational and social impairment, and I went to work somewhere, I'd expect that I might eventually be reduced to the appropriate level of impairment.  (But I'm not, I'm only 50% "bent brain", as another member likes to call it.)  

In short, do what you think is best for you, and if you're capable of working, that's great, but know that it might affect your rating.  There's nothing wrong with getting better, it really should be the goal for all of us.

You have uncovered a "big hole" in VA benefits.  Social security ENCOURAGES disability recipients to go back to work..I think, you can still collect social security benefits while "transitioning" back into the work force, for about a year.  https://choosework.ssa.gov/about/how-it-works/index.html

It only makes sense, rather than to pay out benefits, to HELP the claimant return to work as that is good for both the claimant and the taxpayer.  It only makes sense to do this with VA also.  

Of course, this does not apply to many of us, especially those over 65.  But the 30 year old disabled Vet, may well like to try to go back to work for a few years at least, but would be reluctant to do so and have to fight VA to get his benefits back when he could no longer work.  Social security, wisely, helps its claimants and does not threaten them, instead.  This does not mean you can work and collect social secuity disability at the same time, but it does mean you can "try" working and transition back into the work force, and keep the social security backup in case you underestimated how difficult it is for you to reenter the workforce.  

• HadIt.com Elder
11 hours ago, Pitman87 said:

100% schedular ptsd 50% sleep apena 10% bilateral pes planus with smc -s all are static over 7 years.I didn't ask for the smc but was awarded it ,can that keep me from working?

Yes I would say you can go back to work being 100% scheduler, and not IU, IF You can find an employer to hire you knowing your a 100% PTSD Veteran. or if your self employed.

The SMC is based off your other  S.C.conditions  so theses or not in question with SMC....Like your 100% PTSD...These other S.C. Conditions is why you are on SMC.

The raters are instructed to:

Award the SMC When a Veteran has a 100%  S.C. rating and another separate distinct rating of 60% or higher , these type ratings can be combined or just a  single separate S.C. Condition that is rated 60% or higher.,This also applies to the IU Veteran.

As for as I know the Only Veterans that can't go back to work is the IU Vets  and some of them can under special circumstance with a family business say a Farm and the family employed the Veteran under special care. but only allowed to make so much through out the Year.

You may lose your SSDI if your  getting that.

jmo

Edited by Buck52