VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Was Denied then received C&P exam

Rate this question

jamesriley1990

Question

In October I filed a new claim for Sleep Apnea, GERD, PTSD, and convulsive tic. I was never diagnosed in service of any of these conditions other than getting heartburn pills prescribed while in the service to combat my reflux on deployment. In November I received a decision letter and everything was denied service connection with PTSD Deferred. I was scheduled for a GERD C&P exam December 27th where a Nurse Practioner was my examiner. The exam lasted 5 minutes and I am now currently pending decision approval.  Is this normal of the VA to deny service connection then back a step and give an exam? I still haven't heard anything about a PTSD exam. Does anyone have any similar experiences with a denial of service connection then a C&P exam?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

Jamesriley1990,  So a few questions to get some context.  What years did you serve?  Combat? All of the will play into a service connection.  Yes this is common as someone made a mistake as they should always give an exam even if they are denying it.  

As for getting the other items service connected there are a few things that have worked for me.  Lay statements (wife-friends-anyone who can support your case "you") these have been the biggest support for my claim as I was not service connected for anything but my knee when I first got out.  Sadly I am now service connected with 9.  

You will also want all of your current medical records that show you have these issues.  If your PTSD is still waiting you could still have time to get this evidence in and change the outcome.  Always give them the right information to help your case.  I made the mistake of giving far to much evidence, which slowed my case down.  Now I only give what is prudent and I highlight what I think will help my case.  

Keep fighting as long as it takes!

There is a regulation covering that:  38 cfr 3.156 b or c.  But, you have to do your part.  Submit it as "new and material evidence" because that could not have been considered if it happened after your decision.  You need to reopen your claim to preserve your effective date.