• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
jamesriley1990

PTSD Diagnosis from my Doctor over a VA Doctor

Question

I was concerned because my Stressors were never reported in the Military, I have been fortunate to have two eyewitnesses write me statements on the events. I have been seeing a psychologist for about 6 months now and It has greatly helped me coping with my day to day life. My relationship with my wife has improved, but I still encounter my issues but with my psychologist's training I am able to come back to earth. My psychologist stated he would write me a letter and fill out the DBQ form for PTSD on my behalf. I am currently awaiting an exam for PTSD with the VA (filed in October). I built a relationship with my Psychologist and I fear that the VA examiner will not believe what I say to them. Will my doctor's letter and DBQ trump the VA's? And I have all of this evidence right now but my VSO encourages me to wait for a decision because I may not be denied for PTSD although I know I have no records of this and just think its a waste of time.  I copied my psychologists ending statement in the letter. Any ensight would be appreciated.

• He had exposure to experiences which he saw as sexual violence and inappropriate behavior. With the idea of being choked by people who said that they were going to do it till he passed out he was fearful of threatened death and/or serious injury.
  • He has developed recurrent, involuntary and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic events.
  • He has had recurrent distressing dreams in which the content and some aspects of the events are related to the events. He has developed both sleep problems of insomnia and sleep apnea. 
  • He has had flashbacks of the events and times where he has felt as if the events were occurring or about to occur. 
  • He has had intense and prolonged psychological distress at exposure to internal and external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic events.  Movies, stories on the news and in media, being around groups of people and even driving in unfamiliar areas where the is a lot of traffic create fear of how to handle a situation should it occur.
  • He experiences marked physiological reactions to internal and external cues that symbolize or resemble and aspect of the traumatic events. He has panic attacks, severe anxiety, and depressive reactions and is over-cautious when out in public.
  • he removes himself from situations in which people are speaking about any kind of incidents which are reminiscent of the events. 
  • He avoids external reminders that arouse memories, thoughts or feelings about or are closely associated with the traumatic events. He avoids people, places conversations and activities that could be triggers. This involves sporting events, for example.
  • He has developed persistent negative believes about authority and much of the world around him. He believes that it is hard to trust others, believes that there are changes in his body which will never recover and does not think it would be safe to let go of his fears and concerns. 
  • He has markedly diminished interest and participation in significant activities. He would rather be at home.  
  • He experiences feelings of detachment and estrangement from others due to concern about authority and way people have treated him and the way some people treat each other.
  • He sometimes has gotten irritable and angry with no provocation which is one of the reasons he came to see me as this was occurring at home with no provocation.
  • He has hypervigilance when he is out of his home, and even when he is at home.
  • He has an exaggerated startle response from loud sounds or other intrusive sounds.
  • He sometimes experiences problems with concentration because of his flashbacks, memories of fears.
  • He has developed sleep problems including falling asleep, staying asleep and having bad dreams. 
  • The duration of the events has been more than one month. 
  • The reaction to the events has caused clinically significant distress in social, occupational and in other relationships.
  • The above reactions all confirm that he has suffered PTSD and that it was from incidents in the military. There are no other experiences in his life which have been traumatic or that could have caused his reactions.

2 answers to this question

You asked, 

Will my doctor's letter and DBQ trump the VA's? 

Unfortunately, the VA has decided, as a corportate policy, NOT to accept a private physicians PTSD diagnosis.  While it is unclear to me "how the VA can get away with that", so far, they have been able to get away with it in reference to PTSD diagnosis.  

If you have a diagnosis of PTSD by a VA doc, then your physician can supply a nexus.  Your buddy letters can suffice to establish the "in service stressor", especially if you served in a combat zone.  The VA has relaxed, a bit, the requirements to verify a stressor in combat.  They finally recognized that doctors dont get in trenches just to be available to verify a stressor in combat when it happens.  

However, remember there are many many employees at VA with widely differing opinions on Vets benefits.  This means that some of these may go ahead and award benefits, while others take a tough stance and deny you.  You dont know which you will get when the time comes.  Some Vets like to "bullet proof" their claim, to get awarded even with the toughest of the tough raters.  Raters make mistakes, and, sometimes those are in our favor.  However, I still think the mistakes are overwhelmingly "against the VEt." 

3 hours ago, broncovet said:

You asked, 

Unfortunately, the VA has decided, as a corportate policy, NOT to accept a private physicians PTSD diagnosis.  While it is unclear to me "how the VA can get away with that", so far, they have been able to get away with it in reference to PTSD diagnosis.  

If you have a diagnosis of PTSD by a VA doc, then your physician can supply a nexus.  Your buddy letters can suffice to establish the "in service stressor", especially if you served in a combat zone.  The VA has relaxed, a bit, the requirements to verify a stressor in combat.  They finally recognized that doctors dont get in trenches just to be available to verify a stressor in combat when it happens.  

However, remember there are many many employees at VA with widely differing opinions on Vets benefits.  This means that some of these may go ahead and award benefits, while others take a tough stance and deny you.  You dont know which you will get when the time comes.  Some Vets like to "bullet proof" their claim, to get awarded even with the toughest of the tough raters.  Raters make mistakes, and, sometimes those are in our favor.  However, I still think the mistakes are overwhelmingly "against the VEt." 

Thank you, so would you say that If I were denied and took it to the Appeals board then my doctor's evidence would hold more credibility?