VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reapply for higher compensation

Rate this question

Pirates2015

Question

Hi all

i now have a 90% disability rating with 100% T&D due to back pain (40%)  depression (50%) and neuropathy in both legs (20% each leg)  and bladder (20%). 

Things have gotten much worse with leg strength (neuropathy) and depression for me. My question is would it be worth the effort to apply for increase rating to 100% or just leave things as is. I am 63 and on full Social Security disability. 

From everything I’ve read I’m not a candidate for another review from VA because of age and no chance to improve conditions. Thank you for your help. 

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Maybe this will help you decide:

90 percent comp for a married Vet is 1986 per month. 

An additional 10 percent, to 100 percent and it goes up to 3057 per month, almost $1100 per month more.  

Oh, I forgot.  100 percent P and T gets you additional benefits also, usually from your state.  Things like reduced or eliminated property taxes, free hunting and fishing license, etc.etc, depinding on your state.  

If the additional 1100 per month, plus property tax relief think about your spouse becoming eligible for DIC which is about another 1400 per month or so.  

Bottom line:  Get all the benefits you deserve:  Apply for an increase if warranted.  

No, a wife can get DIC if the Veteran dies of any service connected condition.  However, after the Veteran has been P and T 100 percent for 10 years, the wife gets DIC if the Veteran dies from any cause.  And that is a big deal, since most of us dont die from mental health issues, knee problems, etc. etc.  More on DIC criteria here:

https://www.veteransaidbenefit.org/dependency_and_indemnity_compensation.htm

https://benefits.va.gov/compensation/types-dependency_and_indemnity.asp

Good advice all around.  No one has came out and said but in my humble opinion, You should try for an increase.

Edited by vetquest