VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Appeal, NOD or CUE or just forget about

Rate this question

bigbetty3id

Question

REDACTED Files:  I put a claim in for Asthma before I ETS from the Army got denied June 2004. Oct 2004 put claim for Asthma denied saying no diagnoses in STR for Asthma appealed it and I withdrew the appeal around 2005, 2006 with my VSO telling me to do so in order to get service connected for 2 other claims and I did not knowing he screwed me over. Fast forward got awarded for Asthma with COPD with Dyspnea Burn Pit Exsposure as of 2018. Is the effective date right in the uploads or should I appeal, NOD, or is it a Cue or just leave it alone. Any help will greatly appreciated.

001.jpg

002.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

4 answers to this question

Appeal the effective date of asthma.  You could get compensation back to the original date you filed.  However, if your symptoms had increased, you may not necessarily get 30 percent back to 2004.  You see, the effective date is the later of the date of claim or "facts found".  If the doc indicated you had a recent worsening of symptoms, you could get less than 30 percent back to 2004.  You could appeal the disability percentage also, at the same time.  

1 hour ago, bigbetty3id said:

REDACTED Files:  I put a claim in for Asthma before I ETS from the Army got denied June 2004. Oct 2004 put claim for Asthma denied saying no diagnoses in STR for Asthma appealed it and I withdrew the appeal around 2005, 2006 with my VSO telling me to do so in order to get service connected for 2 other claims and I did not knowing he screwed me over. Fast forward got awarded for Asthma with COPD with Dyspnea Burn Pit Exsposure as of 2018. Is the effective date right in the uploads or should I appeal, NOD, or is it a Cue or just leave it alone. Any help will greatly appreciated.

001.jpg

002.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

It looks like you're going to receive a nice retropay back to 2015.

#1.You got the Asthma/ COPD issue service-connected, which is always awesome.

(Be advised if you've been having sleep issues pertaining to Obstructive Sleep Apnea? You may want to get a sleep study done. If in fact, the sleep study shows you have sleep apnea, be sure it says that a "medically necessary" CPAP or other breathing-assistance device is required in the sleep study impression or in the prescribing doctor's notes. You can claim OSA, as secondary to Asthma/COPD. Which will be rated seperately at 50%)

#2. If there is a CUE, you can appeal the effective date to 2004.

Congrats and best wishes if you decide to appeal. 

On 1/2/2019 at 7:01 PM, bigbetty3id said:

doc25 Is this what my neurologist did a DBQ for OSA secondary to my PTSD to submit for evidence to the VA.

008.jpg

009.jpg

It list the symptoms but you still need the nexus.  It doesn't say it's at least or more likely than not connected to your service connected PTSD.  I think if that's all you're submitting it will get denied.