VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Widows of Disabled Vets

Rate this question

christiane41

Question

Hi. I am new to this forum. My husband is a disabled vet with a 100% rating. We have been married for 42 years. Unfortunately we were never able to get life insurance and his SS benefits are very low. My question. In the event that my husband would pass before I would, do i understand this correctly that all of his disability payment will go away? Other than his SS I won't have much to live on. So here is my question. Is there possibly some financial help the VA offers for widows in this case? I read some place about DIC payments. But i was not sure if that applied to me. My husband is 64 and I am 59. Thank you in advance. 

Christiane

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If he has heart problems now, and the diagnosis is ischemia of the heart and if he can prove he was in Vietnam ( His Military records might reveal he was) he might definitely want to claim the IHD as due to AO.

And if the rating for the IHD would be at 60% or greater , he would be eligible to receive SMC.

Many here know what the current SMC rate is.

The NARA link I gave you above holds the  SF 180 form he needs to file-he should request copy of all of his Service Medical Records and also his inservice Personnel files.

I stopped working last year due to some mental decline. I would say due to medication more than anything. Heart issues and knee issues. I drive him to all of his appointments."

If not the SMC 100% plus 60% Criteria , he might also be considered as Housebound ( SMC same amount)

Was the Parachute accident in Vietnam? or stateside?

Is he  101st Airborne ( A Screaming Eagle)?     https://www.army.mil/101stairborne

or 82nd Airborne? They have many web site for 101St as well as 82nd, where he might be abe to get a buddy statement if needed-

But then again -is he already service connected for the knees? and/or the heart?

Or is the 100% for something else?

Sorry for all the questions------

someone at my church asked me what I do as a volunteer here- and I said I try to move money-

they said"what do you mean" and I said I try to give advice to disabled veterans in order to move $$$ from the US Treasurer into their checking accounts due to their service connected disabilities...and help widows /widowers in that respect too.

So $$$ is the point of my questions here because this is the Motto of the VA.

Money is the only way they can make compensable service injuries or  SC MH issues right.

Most SCs do not get better and get worse in time...and can cause deaths.

When a VA doctor told my husband ,while hospitalized for the wrong diagnosis, that he was being prepped for move to another VAMC for Brain surgery-I thought he would have a fit-instead he seemed quite calm.

He said to me maybe brain surgery could take away his PTSD ( 100%) and that would be great.

It sure would  have been. Instead he did not have an inner ear infection, that he had been diagnosed and hospitalized for over 3 weeks for-     he had suffered a major catastrophic stroke.

I do not believe the VA can ever CURE PTSD and most of the SC MH and physical disabilities that these veterans have. And that means they have to pay comp for them. By law.

Hi Bertha

You have a very important job. And to boot you are a volunteer. Thank you so much for all that you have told me. His parachute accident happened at Ft Bragg. His 100% disability is a combination of knee, shoulder, ptsd . Probably due to the parachute crash. The heart issue has just now surfaced. Honestly it runs in his family as far as I can tell. Doubtful we can tie it at all to a service connected issue. 

PTSD, no I do not think it can be cured. Medication might be beneficial. He takes so many psych meds. I do believe it has affected his judgement and general awareness, memory and so forth. 

I am very sorry for your husbands stroke and passing away. You mentioned going to church. I hope he was obedient to the Lord and you can feel that peace in your heart. I look at your bio. You are a very intelligent and motivated lady. Bless you for helping us out. You possess a lot of compassion. And passion. 

I would not call him housebound. Yet. I drive because he wrecked and totalled 2 vehicles in 11 months. I do not know if it is because of medications or his general mental decline. He can do his personal hygiene and eating by himself. He walks and gets around fine. He sleeps many hours and is not active when he is awake. Been like this for at least a decade. However, i do not feel that i am his caretaker at this point. 

Have a wonderful evening Berta. And a great start to your week. 

TY........Christiane 🙂