VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help me understand my results smc s-1

Rate this question

wjrasmussen

Question

Just saw on ebenefits that may claim completed and looked at the disabilities tab and the benefits tab.

The Benefits tab had this:

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (s) and 38 CFR 3.350(i)
 on account of status post left total knee replacement (previously rated as s/p left knee meniscal
tear residual, osteoarthritis) rated 100 percent and additional service-connected disability of
 major depressive disorder (claimed as depression), independently ratable at 60 percent or more
 from 07/20/2018 to 11/01/2018.

Rating Date : 12/28/2018

***********QUESTION:  Does this mean that SMC S-1 only happens for 7/20/2018 through 11/01/2018?  I don't understand what this is impling?

The disabilities tab had this:

Disability     Rating     Decision     Related To     Effective Date
status post left total knee replacement (previously rated as s/p left knee meniscal tear residual, osteoarthritis)     60%     Service Connected         11/01/2018

bursitis, left hip, limiation of flexion
    0%     Service Connected         07/20/2018

osteoarthritis, right hip, limitation of flexion

bursitis, left hip
    10%     Service Connected         07/20/2018

leg length discrepancy, left

bursitis, left hip, limitation of extension

right knee osteoarthritis, limitation of extension

osteoarthritis, right hip, limitation of extension

major depressive disorder (claimed as depression)
    70%     Service Connected         07/20/2018

right knee osteoarthritis

degenerative arthritis, lumbar spine
    20%     Service Connected         07/20/2018

osteoarthritis, right hip
instability, left knee     10%     Service Connected         04/21/2017
scar, status post left total knee replacement     0%     Service Connected         09/22/2017
scar, left knee     0%     Service Connected         04/21/2017
sleep apnea         Not Service Connected         
right ankle condition         Not Service Connected

I though the right ankle was a sure thing due to injury in service. Also, my new scar on my knee does have pain.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

34 minutes ago, wjrasmussen said:

Just saw on ebenefits that may claim completed and looked at the disabilities tab and the benefits tab.

The Benefits tab had this:

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (s) and 38 CFR 3.350(i)
 on account of status post left total knee replacement (previously rated as s/p left knee meniscal
tear residual, osteoarthritis) rated 100 percent and additional service-connected disability of
 major depressive disorder (claimed as depression), independently ratable at 60 percent or more
 from 07/20/2018 to 11/01/2018.

Rating Date : 12/28/2018

***********QUESTION:  Does this mean that SMC S-1 only happens for 7/20/2018 through 11/01/2018?  I don't understand what this is impling?

The disabilities tab had this:

Disability     Rating     Decision     Related To     Effective Date
status post left total knee replacement (previously rated as s/p left knee meniscal tear residual, osteoarthritis)     60%     Service Connected         11/01/2018

bursitis, left hip, limiation of flexion

osteoarthritis, right hip, limitation of flexion

bursitis, left hip

leg length discrepancy, left

bursitis, left hip, limitation of extension

right knee osteoarthritis, limitation of extension

osteoarthritis, right hip, limitation of extension

major depressive disorder (claimed as depression)
    70%     Service Connected         07/20/2018

right knee osteoarthritis

degenerative arthritis, lumbar spine
    20%     Service Connected         07/20/2018

osteoarthritis, right hip
instability, left knee     10%     Service Connected         04/21/2017
scar, status post left total knee replacement     0%     Service Connected         09/22/2017
scar, left knee     0%     Service Connected         04/21/2017
sleep apnea         Not Service Connected         
right ankle condition         Not Service Connected

I though the right ankle was a sure thing due to injury in service. Also, my new scar on my knee does have pain.

I don't have an answer for your SMC, but I  have an answer for your Sleep Apnea that was not service-connected.

You may want to re-claim Sleep Apnea, as secondary to Major Depressive Disorder. OSA is rated 50%.

Mental Health conditions are well-known to cause Sleep Apnea.

Do you have a current diagnosis for OSA? Have you been prescribed a "medically necessary" CPAP or other breathing assistance device?

• HadIt.com Elder

Looks like he has a 100% sc rating for his knee replacement his other  secondary SC conditions add up to 60%  this quailfy's him for SMC S  H.B.

IT Should be rated permanent and not temp  I don't see any indication that any of his conditions is temporary.

HE NEEDS TO KEEP CHECKING E- BENEFITS  AT E.O.B. & HIS CLAIM STATUS?  OR CALL THE 1-800# TO FIND OUT HIS CORRECT RATING AND IF THIS RATING IS TEMPORARY FOR THE SMC S ? 

AS FOR AS sleep Apnea  his decision to file for that ,  he can get it S.C.  AND A 50% RATING BUT IT WILL NOT ADD ANY COMP...HE IS 100& PLUS SMC that's it  as for as the $$  Although its good to get  the OSA  S.C. and rated   it helps out in case he ever does get a reduction letter for some odd ball reason?   it will help him keep the 100% rating and make it harder for them to reduce below the 100%

Unless he has  arms and legs missing  or needs assistance with getting dressed feeding himself  and is bed ridden    this will be higher up the latter with SMC and more comp will be added,   the worse off a Veteran is with his sc conditions the more SMC He will qualify for!!!

JMO

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

sorry I didn't see this

''

***********QUESTION:  Does this mean that SMC S-1 only happens for 7/20/2018 through 11/01/2018?  I don't understand what this is impling?''

The SMC shows to be only Temporary about 3 months

if you still are getting the SMC Payment  after 11-01/2018 you may need to watch this because if they over pay you, you will have to pay that back,  .....>you need to find out if the SMC is permanent? .

My thinking was that I was getting the temp 100% from september 2017 for 13 months and those smc s-1 few months, are from when I started the claim on 7/20/2018 until the 13 months ran out.

Talked to my amvet rep today, we will be filling sleep apnea secondary to major depression disorder.

***********Also, the paperwork for the right ankle says there isn't any evidence of treatment for it in my military medical records when in fact there is.   Would that be a CUE?

Anyhow, it is a great result.  I tried to calculate the value but wasn't sure the final number that got reduced to 90%.