• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
treysnonna

Treysnonna

Question

Ebenefits is showing a claim for a new exam for hubbys heart.  This is the third exam.  He was just in hospital in Aug for pulmonary embolism. I uploaded paperwork.   I think it will show that his heart condition is worse and now the right side of the heart has problems.   I checked for them to make a decision on it.   Do they usually leave the percent at the same or could they possibly increase it?  The diagnosis from the hospital stay says chronic copd, Chronic CHF, sleep apnea for at least 10 yrs using cpap,  and acute kidney failure.  Now we do have a remanded  appeal for ckd and iu.  But should we go ahead and file a claim for all this.  They do not usually just go ahead and grant these things, right.  Or will they just go ahead maybe and grant 100 percent for the heart.  And how long does it take for them to decide.  It is due to close between 1-18 and 02-15.

1 answer to this question

The percentage could increase provided that you apply for an increase and, the evidence shows that symptoms have gotten worse and you meet the criteria for the next higher rating.  

Yes, you should file for "all this", if you have the evidence and feel you qualify.  

Dont count on VA to automatically file for any benefits for you, its on the claimant or his representative to apply for and/or seek an increase.  File for it on the correct form.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JusticeforLt.Col.Sutton.
      On Thursday I was informed by my new legal representation for the FTCA claim that not only would I be filing out the form 95 but that they would be contacting my husbands adult children (whom I have no contact with and my husband had very little contact with) to sign a retainers contract and sign Form 95.
      It is essential that the FTCA claim be correctly.  I am not sure that this above is correct. I have spent the entire weekend searching for the statue, the code, the rule, the regulation as to whom must file the FTCA claim.  Can anyone help me find this information?

I have filed an 1151 Claim.  I have finally found an attorney to represent my FTCA claim.  We are going to submit Form 95 this This attorney informed me that he would need to submit separate Form 95's for myself, my son, and all 5 of my husbands previous children.  
      My husband had a total of six children. Five of the children are by his previous wife whom died.  And he and I have a son whom is now 9.  If successful at the FTCA it is my understanding that the laws in TN will mean an award in the FTCA would be divided this way after attorney fees:  1/3 to the surviving spouse, 2/3 divided by 6.  Each child the would receive 1/6 of the remaining 2/3 of monies.  
      So with that being said.  If my 1151 claim is successful will the offset amount be the 1/3 that I received or the entire amount of the FTCA award.
      I asked a question.  Then people submitted a post.  How do I respond to the person trying to help me. For example, I asked a question, Berta responded .  How do I respond to each post.  Thank you so much in advance.
      On March 12, 2018 my husband was admitted to the Veteran Affairs Medical Center of Memphis, Tennessee for a prescheduled three-day admission. Subsequently, he tragically died on March 22, 2018 at 10:14am due a mind-boggling amount errors and failures of the providers of VAMC of Memphis.  I am alleging that the VAMC of Memphis, Tennessee and the medical providers failed in their duty of care to my husband by their:  failure to monitor and administer Vancomycin properly and  safely, failed to recognize and correct Vancomycin toxicity which lead to Acute Renal Failure, failure to recognize and treat the Acute Renal Failure leading to fluid overload, failure to treat new onset Congestive Heart Failure caused by fluid overload , then failure to assess or render treatment respiratory distress.   In addition, failure to have the proper equipment available to provide airway management, inappropriate administration of anesthesia by resident(far out of scope of practice), failure to  intubate in a timely manner causing hypoxia leading to cardiac arrest.  As well as, failure to follow the Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation on my husband.
      About three months after his death, I called VAMC of Memphis and asked to speak to his admitting physician/spinal cord attending doctor.  I was transferred to her voicemail. I left a message.  About a week later, I received a call from a lady identifying herself as the Chief Director of the Spinal Cord Center. She informed me that the hospital was conducting an internal investigation about all the events that occurred surrounding my husbands death.   She stated that the admitting physician could not talk to me until this investigation was over.  At the end of the call I ask her if I would be privy to the investigations findings.  She told me no because it was peer review and they did not have to disclose it to me (which I already knew but thought I would just ask).
      I myself am a nurse. For me as a nurse, I could not believe the things I read in the medical record. I spent many months piecing the puzzle of the events, in which my husband endured, back together. The medical records were sent to me is true disarray.  It was as though they hit the shuffle button then sent them.  Once I got them in chronological order I began going through it highlighting all import facts as well as all standards of care to research.  While reviewing the records I discovered many, many documents in which I had not received despite requesting ALL medical records.  Each time I discovered I was missing documents I requested them (for example the Blue Alert Record, EKG's, Anesthesia records, etc.). After a total of 11 months, some help from other nurses and physicians I know, I had 1300 pages or so of medical peer reviewed literature to support all of my findings.   I then consulted an independent legal nurse. I have a complete legal nurse review/chronology of the medical record including supporting peer reviewed medical evidence for each finding and failure to provide the duty of care in the medical record. 
      I then enlisted a group of friends and we meticulously read through all VHA policies I felt might have been violated.  I created a report citing each VHA policy/directive violated and citing the medical record where the violation had taken place.
       My husband had no choice but to receive his medical care at the Veteran Affairs Medical Center of Memphis. I clearly remember his first admission.  As it began an endless battle with them to provide him dignified, safe , appropriate care. Each time I had to allow VAMC to render care to my husband I feared he might not make it home.  I feared they might literally kill him.  I have spent many drives home crying for this reason alone.   I have witnessed many negligent acts of the staff and at times very dangerous care. I have battled with many nurse managers for change and at times refused to leave him. This was my greatest fear that came true.  I am prayerful and seek to make VAMC of Memphis, Tennessee be accountable for their horrific, negligent care in which they rendered to  my husband causing his death, taking him from my son (who is autistic and now 9) and me.

This is what I have done so far.  I submitted a claim for 38 USC 1151, Accured Benefits, and Pension.  I submitted it just three days prior to my husbands one year date of death.  I included all required documents for the 1151 Claim, copy of autopsy, death certificate, copy of all medical records, the legal nurse review.  And approximatley 1300 pages of medical evidence to support all opinions of the legal nurse consultant.  When I last checked the status of my 1151 Claim on the website it states it is in the review period with an estimated completion day of Dec 31 2019 (for what that is worth). 

I have obtained a certified legal nurse review which states my husband died due to no fault of his own, was not foreseen and died due to multiple VAMC providers medical negligence.  
      I am having a lot of trouble obtaining an attorney for the Federal Tort Claim I am going to file.  I have not filed Standard Form 95 as of yet.  As my statued continues to run out I am faced with filing Standard Form 95 on my own.  
      My husband served in the United States Army for 18 years followed by 12 years in the Army Reserve.  My husband was a skillful, highly sought General Surgeon, a life-saving Trauma Surgeon,  a teacher to many in West Tennessee, a father to our son whom is now nine,  and my soul mate. .  I have been told my husband cause of death was not as clear as a medical malpractice attorney would like it to be, like a sponge left during surgery or etc.  The events of his hospitalization may not be that clear however, I am confident that their numerous failures to follow clinical practice guidelines fell far below any standard of care one expects in America today and far below the standard of care one would receive in my community as a civilian and caused his death. 

• By 70%&sfsystem
      I was helping a buddy of mine veteran file claims cat outside Dr. DBQ done and filed but VA DENYED ALL CLAIMS without sending him for C/P exams he 10%  tinnitus and he was a Heavy vehicle mechanic in the army did a tour in Bosnia as well I just don’t understand how they could deny without even doing C/P exams He’s very upset and doesn’t understand I told him it’s par for the course any advice that we could do?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 18 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
    • I was denied SC for IBS and GERD IN 2011. In 2019 I was awarded SC for GERD. This CUE  is for 2011, both GERD and IBS. There are some odd aspects regarding the 2011 decision, the way it was written and the C&P report and the way it was written. I've tried to present this as clearly as I can. Note: the decision contradicts itself. the decision also contradicts the C&P Report. Honestly, I think the rater just got confused because the C&P was so poorly written. *THIS CUE HAS NOT YET BEEN SUBMITTED*Please let me know what you think. Appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

VA RATING DECISION MARCH 23 2011 GERD IBS.pdf C P REPORT 7312010 GERD IBS.pdf GERD IBS CUE 2011(1).pdf

C P ADDENDUM REQUEST RE DIAGNOSIS 7232010.pdf
      • 56 replies
    • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims
      When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a Veterans Affairs Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing Veterans Affairs Disability Claims. [Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog]
      • 0 replies
    • Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemptions by State
      Alabama 
      A disabled veteran in Alabama may receive a full property tax exemption on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled as a result of service and has a net annual income of $12,000 or less.
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines