• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Ad Free Subscription.jpgOne Time Financial Gift.jpg

Subscriptions and Gifts are NOT Tax Deductible. HadIt.com is NOT a Non Profit.

SEALVET-33

Phone calls from VA coordinators during claim process.

Question

Hello everyone. I am new here and had a question. I am in the process of a claim and I have been suffering with depression and PTSD for a long time since discharge. I am seriously amazed and saddened to know how the VA treats vets with all of these horrible strategies and tricks that give the VA reasons to reduce or deny a veteran benefits for their treatment, especially considering most of us cannot work and hold a job due to their conditions. 

Anyways, to make a long story short - I had two evaluations from different doctors, on top of the C & P they gave me.

I noticed after I submitted my evaluations from private doctors regarding my conditions on ebenfits, I was receiving calls from one of the coordinators at the VA I was going to regularly. I couldn't understand why the coordinator was so determined to get in touch with me, especially after I told them that I would like to be getting my treatment from an outside doctor from now on as I dont trust the VA anymore. But something tells me that the over the phone coordinator was trying to make a report (written) saying 'everything is ok with the Vet, and the vet is not having any problems in relation to his conditions he was suffering from now'... to lower or deny my claim..?? is that possible?? The VA would have to send me to another C & P exam to try and do that, right? I am unemployed and was staying at domicile before, but am staying with family for now. I really want treatment for my conditions and want to get better, but right now I cant work. I am worried that the coordinator made a report saying I am 'better' and the VA will disregard my recent evaluations from my doctors. Could they do that from over the phone and submit that to the VA during my claim process? 

I'll add this  if you ever confront your therapist about something that was not mention in your sessions  be nice about it  say yes mam yes sir   ect,,ect,, never raise your voice at them   this is obvious   so just be nice and ask in a nice gentle way ...>  you want to let them know you do stay on top of your medical problems and read your medical records  to see what was mention during a session.  Thank God we have access in Myhealthvet Notes.

Ad

Posted (edited)

I went through 3 therapist before I got a good one, if you don't like your therapist for obvious reasons request another therapist  until you two click together.  it makes things so much better.

I never had a MH Coordinator  for a therapist?   usually they are experience in therapy and have further education on Mental Health, some MH Coordinators are MD/s and NP's  and some have certification in MH.

Edited by Buck52

9 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I'm fairly sure they can't use phone calls to go against you in a claim.

I do know that if we tell them anything (usually the  VA L.C.S.W. ( Therapist ) not a coordinator, they take it and twist it around...like I  mention to my therapist that a Veteran stopped me on the way to my appointment and ask me if I had a Lite (for his cigarette) I said no I don't smoke.''...well my therapist wrote that in my medical notes that I have improved because I stopped and said what I did....so I am showing improvement''

,,,some times my mood is not very good while in therapy  they write that down too and if you smile then your showing improvement...this was a few years ago.

I am still in therapy, and learn to keep my mouth shut and only answer her questions  , never do I tell her who I talk to or show a smile, they look and listen to anything we say  so just be-careful as to what you tell them.

I would suggest you ask for a L.C.S.W. (License clinical social worker)            and get into therapy sessions, your VA  M.H. Coordinator should see to it that you get a L.C.S.W. to begin therapy sessions, if you choose private therapy  just make sure you share your medical records with the VA.

When I first started seeing VA MH I was evaluated by a L.C.S.W. and then seen Two different VA Psychiatrist, they both accessed me and  got me into therapy and also had me to do a sleep study because of my sleep Apnea (no claim for sleep apnea) but I did get a C-PAP  to use for medical necessity related/cause from my PTSD Meds.  

But I am in therapy to address my anxiety and night mares/anger and unsociable behavior of Avoidness  and learn to cope with it , that's my main reason I go to therapy.

while I was doing therapy I used the medical notes as part of my evidence for my PTSD CLAIM and also STR'S and unit reports of the conflict I was in( the trauma I witness) I was approved for 70% PTSD...That was in 2015

Being in therapy is helpful basically in two ways  it helps you cope with all this mess and they do give you some tools to work with your disorder  like how to breath and how to calm down  your anxiety  ect,,,ect,,, fight or flight they call it.

Also it gives you a paper trail you can use for your claim  and you stay on top of what all is being said....because what they may say in your therapy sessions maybe totally different when you read the medical notes.

.I have seen things they said in my medical notes that was never talked about and things they said I mention... When I read that  crap Off Myhealthvet notes I make copies and take them to my next session and confront the therapist face to face about it   they make an amends on the record and make it right...

whey they are caught in a lie   they have to re word what they said or make it out to mean a different  intent...usually to the veteran favor.....

I even mention that I would take these records to the Hospital Director and let him know just how I been treated and let him read these records that are very contractible  to what was said in my therapy sessions.   or say things that was not said during therapy.

they (L.C.S.W. Therapist  usually make the correction in your record....they did mine at least .

Once your L.C.S.W. therapist knows you check your medical notes off myhealtyhvet  they stop playing around and get down to business.

Buck52 thanks for your feedback and thank you for your service. its crazy how they twist what you say like that. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT SHE DID WITH ME!! again, not sure if she is a doctor or social worker, but she is one of the coordinators I have been meeting with about my depression and anxiety in certain situations related to my trauma. 

I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to call her and mention it to her and that her statement was not what I said. She'd probably twist and sculpt that around. 

This is why I do not want to deal with them anymore and I want to get my therapy through a private doctor. But again, I am unemplyed and it is hard for me to even work and be to be in certain situations. I am sometimes very scared to leave the house but I want the treatment. They should make to were Vets can use their benefits for treatment with outside doctors.

I remember one time I made a complaint about something they put in my records years back that I never even knew was in there until I read my C & P exam, and I can see how the examiner went fishing for it in the deep ocean, and twisted it around so strange that it didnt look good and gave the statment a bad ring. When I went in and showed a bit of anger and disatisfaction about it...they called the police on me. They then sent me a letter in the mail saying they werent going to red flag me now but it could happen in the future. that was when I really started to see what they were about. very scary. I am praying for all of you out there and the war we all seem to continue to fight. 

Its never good to call them about things like this  you have no proof ..

It's best to go in and sit and talk with them face to face (take copies for your proof) like I said just be nice and cordial, when you take medical notes of what was said and what not was said  its best to confront them face to face about it........sure is pisses us off  but we have to be nice to them when we confront them.

usually you will see their eyes get big when they read the notes   they know all good and well what they did and why they do these things , it makes them look good as their doing their job and helping this veteran show improvement...why they do that  I don't have a clue?

perhaps they may get a bonus or a pat on the back ,  might get a raise   ect,,ect,,   for helping a veteran get well or is cured of his PTSD.

I don't think they will ever find a cure for PTSD  Once a veteran has it ,UNFORTUNATELY  he/she will have it all his/her life.

We can however learn how to cope/deal with some of the issues it presents   addressed in Therapy sessions. 

I would ask them questions like  ''Do you think what I endured over there and seen some of the grusome things  and in fear for my life   is this why I am like I am today? can you elabrate some on this Dr? Or mam  Who ever your talking with at the time.

..and if they do their job correctly  then you should get a good response   and it should be in your Myhealthvet Notes...this  will be consider as evidence in your claim  on the Nuxus Part of the claim.

I never mention a claim to any of them  just show concerns about your Mental Health and behavior.   

what they say will be put in their report after you leave the session   wait 3 days then check myhealthvet to see what all they mention.  if they twist things around and mention things that was not said in your session...make copies and take them back with you and confront this individual face to face    just be nice.

After my fellow employees and my family kept telling me I had OCD (Obsessive-compulsive Disorder), I made a claim for it, with very little, but accurate, evidence.  None clinical mind you.

Before I made the claim, I did tell my VA PCP that I would like to talk to someone about my OCD, I met with a VA councilor probably 8 times over 4 months.  He said I had OCD, but not bad and I was dealing with it correctly already.

I was denied, but what was unique, was the raters argument that the councilor felt that my "OCD" was beneficial to my current employment, i.e., attention to detail when writing reports and an outstanding arrangement of desk and uniform, spacing, parallel and perpendicular, and that it was a benefit, not a disability.  LOL.  Just to explain, I'm not a neat freak, but for instance, my coworkers would move something on my desk, like turn the stapler around, etc., and then laugh when I came in and fixed whatever little thing they did before I could acknowledge anything or one.  And, I could tell if anyone on day shift ate at my desk, even after they cleaned up.  They ate at my desk, because theirs was usually to full of crap, etc.

I do not believe I ever had a C&P for the OCD it either.  Hmmm.

I was not expecting to win that one anyway.

Your best bet is to wait and see what the letter says, not too sure if muddying up the situation now would help, and might hurt.  You just don't know until you know what the letter says.

FWIW,

Hamslice