VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

From SMC S to a higher SMC rating

Rate this question

Pathfinder2/39

Question

Good morning fellow Vets,

I'm currently receiving SMC (S) and I recently got awarded 40% TBI and 50% TBH. Since my previous ratings included a 100% respiratory and 70% PTSD would I qualify for a higher degree of SMC? 

On January 10, 2019 at 11:07 AM, broncovet said:

Probably not, unless you have "loss of use", or need aid and attendance.  Alex can chime in, but I dont think additional ratings mean additional compensation "above" smc S.  

Thank you

8 hours ago, Buck52 said:

You can file for any condition that was caused by your military service or a condition secondary to an existing condition , these secondary conditions becomes part of the original condition once they rate it.

I have two SMC's and also I have other conditions that I could file for and get S.C. and rated, but there's no more compensation for these conditions, but they could be s.c. and rated...other than just getting the % build up way higher over the 100%    would make it hard for them to reduce below the 100& in case a Proposal to reduce my benefits.

I elect to just stay where I am due to my age 67 and only need 3 more years for the 20 year protection...in the mean time if I get a proposal to reduce  before my 20 year protection  I will Appeal and keep appealing it until i get in the 20 years in,  but if I appeal I will have the evidence to sub-stain what I do have and may even file for more conditions at this time that could be S.C. and Rated.

Thank you

• HadIt.com Elder

With your TBI rating at 40% and your TBH50% And you have another 100% rating  this is why you met the SMC S HB

As broncovet mention  you would need a more disabling condition to get further up the SMC Latter   so -to-speak  like loss of use  or you get bedridden and need help to get dressed or feed yourself  ect,,,ect,, 

you can file a claim for A&A if you have these other disability's  or what you do have now causes you to not be able to take care of yourself and you need another person to help you.

if your conditions you have now ever gets worse (TBI is unpredictable)  and  can get worse over time  even with treatment. 

so be ready for that if that happens.

educate yourself and your spouse (if married) so you will know what to do in case your Disability's get worse?

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

With your TBI rating at 40% and your TBH50% And you have another 100% rating  this is why you met the SMC S HB

As broncovet mention  you would need a more disabling condition to get further up the SMC Latter   so -to-speak  like loss of use  or you get bedridden and need help to get dressed or feed yourself  ect,,,ect,, 

you can file a claim for A&A if you have these other disability's  or what you do have now causes you to not be able to take care of yourself and you need another person to help you.

if your conditions you have now ever gets worse (TBI is unpredictable)  and  can get worse over time  even with treatment. 

so be ready for that if that happens.

educate yourself and your spouse (if married) so you will know what to do in case your Disability's get worse?

Thank you, I appreciate your response